MFE/QCF degree but not for 'quant' job

Hello all:

I am currently having a dilemma about pursing a QCF/MFE degree. I am considering a QCF/MFE degree as a means to crossing over from my BSEE background to the finance world. I do not wish to be a 'quant'. I feel that the higly technical curriculum in a QCF/MFE degree will set me up favorably for a trading job (fixed income, commodities...). I feel a QCF/MFE will serve me better as a "cross over" degree than a MF.

Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it.

Probably an MBA from a top B-school would serve you better if you want nothing to do with stochastic calculus, modeling, programming and all the dirty things that got the machines running. The career service at those business schools will give you lot of opportunities to "break in" but I'm not certain you will become a trader (it's earned, not given) and how technical it will train you for the future.

Thank you for your reply.
It is not that I want nothing to do with stochastic calculus, modelling etc. I believe that having solid technial skills will help to make me a better trader/analyst. I just dont want to be 'pigeonholed' as a quant, especially since a lot of 'quant' roles are support roles i.e providing technical analysis for the traders. Since the MFE/QCF degree will provide me with non-technial knowledge as well as technical skills, I feel this may be a better option than an MBA or MF.

Back