• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE reality check

Hi,
I just graduated with honours bachelors of mathematics, (statistics,econ and finance major) with a 3.7 gpa.

Even though my overall gpa is lackluster, its only because 1st year I got 3.0, 2nd year I got 3.7 and 3rd and 4th year I kept getting 4.0.

I also have an offer as a quant analyst (hedging of equity indexed annuities). I am thinking of working for 3 years and saving some money before pursuing mfe.

Is it even worth it to dream about going to the following schools:
Columbia MFE
Princeton mfin
MIT MFin
Berkeley mfe
Cornell mfe
NYU

Furthermore, will delaying my plans of mfe be a deterent to admission committees?

Thanks!

1) A 3.7 is not a lackluster GPA
2) You already have an offer that most MFE grads would kill for

Don't do the MFE now.

even if u want to expand ur quant knowledge, go take some evening/online classes... ur bnak usually subsidies them...

1) A 3.7 is not a lackluster GPA
2) You already have an offer that most MFE grads would kill for

Don't do the MFE now.
I am definitely not going to do mfe right now, but my thinking was that if later down the line I want to get into another quant role preferable in trading, my experience working with equity indexed annuities won't help much, and I will most likely need an mfe. In that regard I wanted to gauge whether that bad 1st year is gonna be a significant factor or not.

Back