• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE VS MOR

I am going to apply for an MFE degree for the fall 24. Currently, I am a final-year student in mechanical engineering. I was wondering if Operation research is a good master's choice. Will it make me ready for a career in finance ?? (I ask this because I plan to apply for both.)

Thanks in Advance for answering. :)

Years ago, OR was a popular choice among MFE applicants. Columbia MSOR was one such program that attracted lot of applicants. I haven't heard much about them or OR master programs recently. I'm not sure of the reason.
In theory, if you have a good grasp of all the relevant training, any STEM degree would reasonably lead to a job in finance. In reality, getting into finance or a quant-like job is so competitive that good career support is of paramount importance.
This is why top MFE programs have no problem getting high-caliber students and placing them in top jobs. Going to an average MFE program or any related field program would mean you have to do much of the job hunting yourself.

Back