• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Microsoft Considers Adding Python as an Official Scripting Language to Excel

Why not?
Traditionally developers used VBA, C (XLL), C++ (ATL) and C# (native and Excel-DNA) to create worksheet and COM addins. Some options are easier than others. Excel has a COM history and .NET creates wrappers for them.

How interoperable will it all be, and how efficient? (AFAIK VBA is reasonably fast?(?))

C++/CLI is a C++ extension and allows access to the .NET libraries. It also speaks ISO C++11.

My gut feeling/first impressions is Python-Excel is not the most ideal interop. I could be very wrong.

Last edited:
Why not?
Traditionally developers used VBA, C (XLL), C++ (ATL) and C# (native and Excel-DNA) to create worksheet and COM addins. Some options are easily than other. Excel has a COM history and .NET creates wrappers for them.

How interoperable will it all be, and how efficient? (AFAIK VBA is reasonably fast?(?))

C++/CLI is a C++ extension and allows access to the .NET libraries. It also speaks ISO C++11.

My gut feeling/first impressions is Python-Excel is not the most ideal interop. I could be very wrong.
COM was a disaster but it was forced down people's throats. Then MSFT introduced new technologies every half an hour and heralded them as the next thing. That was the time when I had enough of it.

VBA blows chunks too but that's a conversation for another day.

I on the opposite side of the spectrum regarding Python-Excel. I'm 100% sure is going to work because I have used it very often and it does wonders even though it's not a native solution. I think there is a more than 50% chance of sticking if it ever comes to life.

COM was a disaster but it was forced down people's throats. Then MSFT introduced new technologies every half an hour and heralded them as the next thing. That was the time when I had enough of it.

VBA blows chunks too but that's a conversation for another day.

I on the opposite side of the spectrum regarding Python-Excel. I'm 100% sure is going to work because I have used it very often and it does wonders even though it's not a native solution. I think there is a more than 50% chance of sticking if it ever comes to life.
COM was something else, indeed.

Do you have any nice links on what Python-Excel can do?

This could be interesting. So we can use Python instead of VBA and open realms of opportunity.

Microsoft Considers Adding Python as an Official Scripting Language to Excel

I'm note sure about 'instead' but who knows. Python developers will love it (fair enough) but does that means VBA/C/C++ programmers will need to learn VBA?

I'm wondering if traders/quants can get time to learn Python?

Maybe a question is: What is the future of Excel? will it 'work' without VBA?

Prediction is difficult, especially the future.

Last edited:
Back