• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Mid-career MFE for San Francisco job market

Hi,

This question is for people who made mid-career switch with MFE or know good stories.

I have been in finance (business valuations for accounting industry) for over a decade. Hold MBA, CFA and dabble in more complex Excel based valuations of fixed income, derivatives, binomials. Not only I love more quantitative valuations, my career is stuck and needs a major reboot. I live in San Francisco and earn around $150k that supports family and mortgage. Moving to NYC for a 100 hr/week Goldman job is not something I am interested in. I actually have doubts about spending 100% of my time coding.

What opportunities are out there for someone at this stage of their career?

TIA

Michael - this is a funny graphics and I probably was not very direct with my question which: Is quant career mostly for young guys getting started in their mid-20's? Is there a meaningful number of success stories with mid-career guys turning into this field?

Back