• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Military Veteran Advantage?

Hello,

I am about to honorably separate from the military after completing my contract. I wanted to ask if there is any advantage in being a veteran when applying to the top ranked MFE programs when it comes to admission? Does being a US Citizen help in getting admission to these coveted programs? The GI Bill along with the Yellow Ribbon Program (for those of whom are familiar with it) will pretty much cover tuition costs for the majority of the programs.

In addition, are certain MFE programs in the top 10-15 schools more veteran friendly than others?

Briefly, I have a MS in engineering from a good state school with a high GPA and a couple of publications. I am in the process of studying for my GREs.

Any response is appreciated and will help in my application process. Thank you.

No special treatment when it comes to admission if you don't meet the math/programming requirement. Provided that you are equally qualified to thousands of other applicants, your background may be attractive to some programs that are trying to diversify their class profiles. Having a veteran can bring a fresh and different perspective to the group. Being a USC is always a plus when it comes to admission/job search but academic qualification has more priority.

We have plenty of veterans among the members here who either have done MFE.
Forza, Roger Trimble, Sam Harris, nick normandin are all ex-military as far as I remember.
https://www.quantnet.com/forum/thre...personnel-and-distance-learning-degrees.4064/
https://www.quantnet.com/forum/threads/any-ex-military-members-on-quantnet.6232/

There is also a supporting/mentoring network for veterans on Wall Street.

Back