• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Minimum GRE score to get in

I have been an active member here for a few months and would like to say that it has helped me a great deal during my Grad School applications. Even so there is one thing I have noticed here, and that is your GRE score requirements (in the quant section, I don't believe V and A are as important).

In a few posts people have been asking about their profile and if they have what it takes. I have never seen anyone here with a lower score than 160 so I wont comment on that, but in a few cases there have been people with a score of 161-163. A lot of the time they receive the answer that their GRE score is not competitive and that they do not stand a chance.

I for one got that impression when I read this site (having only scored a 162 I was worried). I didn't have the chance to retake the GRE (it is only held 2 times a year here in my country). I received a message from a member here that told me he had been in a similar situation (with a 780) but had gotten into some good programs. So I decided to go a head and apply.

They results are in, and I really can't see that a GRE score of 162 has a whole lot of affect. The schools I was accepted into are:

Columbia - MFE
Cornell - MFE
NYU - MFE
MIT - MF

With this post I just wanted to say that you still have a change even tough your GRE score is under 164. I spoke with the head of MQF at Rutgers and I believe he put it best:

"The mathematics on the GRE are childish. For people with a good mathematical background it will just be luck of the draw if you mess upp 1 or 2 questions. We therefore consider all scores from 750-800 (160-170 on the new scale I believe) to be equal."

"The mathematics on the GRE are childish. For people with a good mathematical background it will just be luck of the draw if you mess upp 1 or 2 questions. We therefore consider all scores from 750-800 (160-170 on the new scale I believe) to be equal."

I guess the difference between a 160 and 170 would be atleast 6-7 questions ....

GRE score is just a single part of your application, the committee considers the whole package. No one has to worry if he/she has a single weak point.

I would guess that bad grades in pertinent math and programming courses would be more likely to preclude you from top programs and not a less-than-average GRE Quant.

Thank you for posting this. I did not do as well as I would have liked on a practice GRE and thought I would not get a good enough grade for the GRE I'm taking next Friday but I think that with a full week of cramming I will be able to get a sufficient score to still be considered competitive.

Can you say more about your application stats and background to give readers a clearer picture of your profile?

Back