• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Missed all the recruiting programs for fresh PhD's..Still have a chance?

Hi All! I'm finishing my PhD in Statistics in the summer. And I just started looking for quant jobs. HOWEVER!

I have been caught up with research since last fall and was deciding b/t academia and industry. Now when I started looking for quant analyst roles, I found all the students recruiting programs from major banks have finished...(VERY SAD!) Now I have to apply for specific positions with experienced professionals, which is not very promising. And most of the positions from headhunters are only for people with at least 1-2 years beyond school.

I believe I have good skill-set for quant (modeling, programming). And I desire to be a quant analyst. I will keep applying from all kinds of channels, since I still got time before summer. Do you think I still have a chance? If so, suggestions?

Thank you for any comments, suggestions, critics, ideas...

The problem is there is few recruiters who will work with entry level candidates. The banks just don't need to pay the fee anymore when there are hundreds or thousands of candidates for a single position.
Why not look at other analytics roles at tech firms, startups. There is a good demand for people with modeling skills. Simply, just look beyond finance.

Thanks Andy!
I think I will be keep trying for all the ways I can, since I'm very clear about what I wanna do as my first non-intern real job.

Back