• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin MIT MFin interview -- Report back

Just done with the interview. She was a very nice, encouraging person, straightforward about the recent expansion, placement record, etc.

Yes, all questions are about "your career goal", "tell me a situation when you... ", "where you want to work", etc.

A strange thing: at the end, the interviewer told me her email address, and asked me to write a little essay on "tell me a situation when you contributed to your team". I just emailed the essay to her. I feel it is so unusual, like.... is it a "homework"? Any similar experience, guys?

Didn't you write an essay on your application about the same thing?

Exactly, she made the request before I was going to hang up, "oh, how about writing a piece about your current internship. how you contributed and made an impact. My email is..." and I was confused as well. "Wasn't it an application essay question?"

She replied, "i know, i just want another one".

Not making any sense, eh? I trust my previously submitted piece is not bad at all!

I have my interview on the 1st of feb, will let you know if I encounter a similar request.

A character test? What kind of response would she be trying to solicit?

See how well and how quickly the student responses? Does he simply copy paste text from his previous essay or does he write a new one with a different angle?

This is just a wild guess. I interned with a company last summer where they had applicants do weird things just to see how they would handle it and resolve it, so this made me think of that experience.

See how well and how quickly the student responses? Does he simply copy paste text from his previous essay or does he write a new one with a different angle?

This is just a wild guess. I interned with a company last summer where they had applicants do weird things just to see how they would handle it and resolve it, so this made me think of that experience.

LOL, fortunately I wrote her a new piece and submitted in an hour. Then I never heard from her again... until yesterday when she replied me, saying "thank you". It has been a week since I emailed her the document!

A bit confused. Hope it is worth all the trouble.

Whatever, I think they're just trying to make you jump through hoops because they know they can. Or they want to see how much bullsh1t you're willing to take in order to be with them. The right thing to do was to be obedient, jump through the hoops and sweet-talk your way in.

Well if she didn't like you she wouldn't have intentionally wasted your time making you write stuff. She probably saw your mail and then thought "oh I'll reply later when I get everybody's". Relax

Back