• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE MIT MFin vs CMU MSCF

Hello,

I got into these two programs and have been debating on which one to take for a while.
I tend to take MIT because of the brand name but also do wanna turn down CMU (NYC campus), which is probably the best in FE.
Without scholarship from CMU the cost would be around $70K for one and a half year, which is almost the same with MIT Mfin.
I really like MSCF but have very little programming background so I wonder if I can handle those programing intensive courses, but one the other hand, getting familiar with programming might be always beneficial in future career.
It looks like it's easier to get a job right after graduation from CMU ( MIT is only one year without internship opportunity, so it might be difficult to get a job? ) but in the long run MIT has a bigger name. I will try to work in the State first and go back to Asia later.
My career goal is in hedge funds or S&T. CMU seems has comparative advantage in these fields but I guess a MFin curriculum is also enough as I am not interested in quant.

I would appreciate if anyone can help me to get out of this dilemma.

you can probably pick up programming pretty easily. there are always a few students who have minimal background in programming and they either take a course prior to matriculation or spend some time doing self-study.

you say you're interested in hedge funds and s&t. what about either of those are you interested in? what do you want to do? andy had a good post within the last week or so about the whole "i dream of working for a few years and then going back to asia to start up my own hedge fund" story. the first job you land out of whatever degree you pursue will be the most important (and it will most likely be the last) job you will ever have, so it's best to focus on whatever will get you that first job.

MIT Mfin can basically be a quant degree depending on the electives, or track you take. If i had a choice between the 2, Id definitely pick MIT. Since you can tailor your education more to your interests and you have the "MIT" brand name. I know that Andy is not too huge on brand name. But given these 2 schools and the fact that MIT's curriculum can be tailored, I would say the brand name would essentially be the difference.

I don't know. The MSCF program at CMU is amazing. For those "in the know", CMU is great. MIT might impress people at the bar, but if you want to get into a hedge fund or a elite trading shop, I think CMU's program might be best. The MIT MSF is going to be something great, but I still think they have kinks to work out.

Just my .02 cents

Hello,

I got into these two programs and have been debating on which one to take for a while.
I tend to take MIT because of the brand name but also do wanna turn down CMU (NYC campus), which is probably the best in FE.
Without scholarship from CMU the cost would be around $70K for one and a half year, which is almost the same with MIT Mfin.
I really like MSCF but have very little programming background so I wonder if I can handle those programing intensive courses, but one the other hand, getting familiar with programming might be always beneficial in future career.
It looks like it's easier to get a job right after graduation from CMU ( MIT is only one year without internship opportunity, so it might be difficult to get a job? ) but in the long run MIT has a bigger name. I will try to work in the State first and go back to Asia later.
My career goal is in hedge funds or S&T. CMU seems has comparative advantage in these fields but I guess a MFin curriculum is also enough as I am not interested in quant.

I would appreciate if anyone can help me to get out of this dilemma.

Zhouyun,

I am thinking of applying to MIT for the MFin program next year. I was wondering if you could share some details about your profile and things you thought were helpful in getting an admit at CMU and MIT.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Back