• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin

Strangely enough, when I was searching for programs to apply for Financial Engineering their website said that they had shut down the program as they werent getting enough students.

Totally unexpected, but it did say that !!

JSTAR is asking about MS in Finance program (similar program in Princeton) - it's alive and well.

They did have MFE (or whatever it was called, I cannot remember exactly) at MIT, but it was only for internal applicants and it was shut down.

They'll soon be followed by a host of others. Good riddance. The good ones -- Baruch, Haas, CMU -- will survive.

shutdown?? shutdown because there arent enough students who can handle the maths or is quant finance going to be extinct because finance is getting too complex heading to a recession and its better to keep it simple????

shutdown?? shutdown because there arent enough students who can handle the maths or is quant finance going to be extinct because finance is getting too complex heading to a recession and its better to keep it simple????

shutdown because ... nobody willing to pay the high tuition and end up with jobless.

Strangely enough, when I was searching for programs to apply for Financial Engineering their website said that they had shut down the program as they werent getting enough students.

Totally unexpected, but it did say that !!
The one that you referred to is called Financial Technology Option
The website is at http://web.mit.edu/fto/index.html
If you go there, this is the message
We regret to announce that, due to unforeseen circumstances, the FTO Program will be ending in June, 2006.
Many students have expressed interest in applying during the June '06 admissions season. Unfortunately, we will NOT be accepting any new applications to join the program. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

most expensive

calculated on a per annum basis, this course is now the most expensive program out there: $70k/annum with no internship to offset any of the cost.

in any case, it doesn't sound like they'll be accepting non-MIT grads this year:

"Due to space constraints, June 2009 enrollment will be limited to 25 students, with high priority given to those who have earned an undergraduate degree from MIT. In subsequent years, the program will accommodate up to 60 students and will welcome all qualified applicants."

Echostate has answered.

calculated on a per annum basis, this course is now the most expensive program out there: $70k/annum with no internship to offset any of the cost.

in any case, it doesn't sound like they'll be accepting non-MIT grads this year:

"Due to space constraints, June 2009 enrollment will be limited to 25 students, with high priority given to those who have earned an undergraduate degree from MIT. In subsequent years, the program will accommodate up to 60 students and will welcome all qualified applicants."

It kind of makes no sense to not have any kind of internship involved. I'm guessing most programs allow for an internship at some point, correct?

But, $70K is definitely steep. That's almost how much it costs for four years of undergraduate education . . .

MIT M.Fin. Program

I just came across the new MIT M.Fin. program which is a 12 month program coming at a whooping, mind boggling price tag of $70,000 . Wow...I have a really hard time wrapping my mind around such huge tuition figures.. I have friends doing their masters programs in Europe (Sweden, Finland and Germany) for free, literally...leading me to speculate that the tuition is this much because of the MIT brand...the MIT name can probably get you into a lot of interviews but so can the Baruch name and Berkeley name, et al.....

I just came across the new MIT M.Fin. program which is a 12 month program coming at a whooping, mind boggling price tag of $70,000 . Wow...I have a really hard time wrapping my mind around such huge tuition figures.. I have friends doing their masters programs in Europe (Sweden, Finland and Germany) for free, literally...leading me to speculate that the tuition is this much because of the MIT brand...the MIT name can probably get you into a lot of interviews but so can the Baruch name and Berkeley name, et al.....

Moreover its not MBA that will help you in the long run.

70k for an MBA?! That's...amusing. Berkeley will definitely give you every bit as much of a competitive edge if you're going for alumni name brand.

Where did you get this quote from? I don't think it is very accurate. I live on campus and I never heard anything like that.

Back