• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Most flexible quant programs?

I'd like to know which MFE programs provide the greatest degree of flexibility in terms of selecting electives, particularly in advanced Mathematics and CS. Upon exploring various top-tier programs, I noticed that many of them had a highly structured curriculum with limited elective options. I am curious to understand the rationale behind this.

Although my primary aim for a job lies in Quant Research roles, I also want to develop a solid foundation in Quant Dev. I do possess programming skills and experience in languages such as C, C++, and Python. I find myself torn between pursuing a master's degree in Computer Science or an MFE. Through my research, I have come across previous discussions indicating that CS courses do not emphasize finance-related subjects. Consequently, I lean towards MFE programs, which provide a rigorous mathematical treatment while also offering the flexibility to choose CS electives. I wonder if universities offer the option for minor specialization within a master's program.

Would it be more beneficial for me to focus on pursuing an MS in Computer Science and supplement it with finance and mathematics courses?

PS. I hold an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering from one of the IITs in India, and have done the basic LinAl, Calculus, Probability courses

Last edited:
I'd like to know which MFE programs provide the greatest degree of flexibility in terms of selecting electives, particularly in advanced Mathematics and CS. Upon exploring various top-tier programs, I noticed that many of them had a highly structured curriculum with limited elective options. I am curious to understand the rationale behind this.

Although my primary aim for a job lies in Quant Research roles, I also want to develop a solid foundation in Quant Dev. I do possess programming skills and experience in languages such as C, C++, and Python. I find myself torn between pursuing a master's degree in Computer Science or an MFE. Through my research, I have come across previous discussions indicating that CS courses do not emphasize finance-related subjects. Consequently, I lean towards MFE programs, which provide a rigorous mathematical treatment while also offering the flexibility to choose CS electives. I wonder if universities offer the option for minor specialization within a master's program.

Would it be more beneficial for me to focus on pursuing an MS in Computer Science and supplement it with finance and mathematics courses?

PS. I hold an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering from one of the IITs in India, and have done the basic LinAl, Calculus, Probability courses
Often times these programs are highly structured because that’s what industry wants. Hiring someone from that school means they’ve been trained in XYZ subjects.

The less structured (meaning the more students can choose electives) means that students graduate with different types of skill sets. And that eliminates the guarantee for a hiring manager that students from that school have the right skill set for the job.

If you ask me, the structure is to your benefit because it’s largely what the industry wants.

Often times these programs are highly structured because that’s what industry wants. Hiring someone from that school means they’ve been trained in XYZ subjects.

The less structured (meaning the more students can choose electives) means that students graduate with different types of skill sets. And that eliminates the guarantee for a hiring manager that students from that school have the right skill set for the job.

If you ask me, the structure is to your benefit because it’s largely what the industry wants.
Well-said. I was considering a reply here but you said it better that I could have.

You need to remember that this degree is a commodity, of sorts. The school's reputation is put at risk if it turns out students that don't meet expectations. The good news is that you should come away with skills that will allow you to learn other areas on your own.

Thank you. Could you also tell which MFE programs offer maximum overlap with CS? Reading the past posts here, mostly MIT and UCB fit the bill I believe, am I correct?

Thank you. Could you also tell which MFE programs offer maximum overlap with CS? Reading the past posts here, mostly MIT and UCB fit the bill I believe, am I correct?
I can't speak to all the programs so I don't want to give subjective advice. I think it'd be helpful if you create a spreadsheet, select five programs, list each of the courses from each program, and classify them as CS or non-CS that way you can directly compare.

Why don't you check out GaTech's dual masters program in QCF and CSE. CSE is Computational Science (courses listed on their site were very similar to CS) though, but they offer 2 degrees in two years. Couldn't find much about this option at GaTech here on Quantnet.

Maybe someone can elaborate? I believe its fairly new.

Why don't you check out GaTech's dual masters program in QCF and CSE. CSE is Computational Science (courses listed on their site were very similar to CS) though, but they offer 2 degrees in two years. Couldn't find much about this option at GaTech here on Quantnet.

Maybe someone can elaborate? I believe its fairly new.
It's new and I don't see any discussion on it.
CMU MSCF used to have a dual degree of MSCF/MBA. I guess there is a demand for more development skills in finance with all the growing AI trend.

CMU MSCF used to have a dual degree of MSCF/MBA. I guess there is a demand for more development skills in finance with all the growing AI trend.
I agree.

GaTech's Computer Science department is considered to be one of the top notch, and it would probably help to have those skills in this growing CS-based world. Even their QCF reviews mention the intensity of their programming coursework.

NYU has the same program. I'm not sure, but @Paul Lopez might have gone through it. Pretty sure he's got an MBA and MFin from NYU. He'd probably know about it either way.

NYU has the same program. I'm not sure, but @Paul Lopez might have gone through it. Pretty sure he's got an MBA and MFin from NYU. He'd probably know about it either way.
I'm old! NYU Stern's MBA will have no meaningful quant courses/depth. You'd have to go directly into their Statistics, Finance, or Operations research programs to get any depth.

Across the plaza is the courant institute of mathematical sciences where the math and comp sci departments are. I'd go there for any quant stuff you want to develop :)

The MFin program will let you take a course that is more general/deeper than what the financial math course might be. For example pde for finance I was able to replace with a more general pde course with the math department, and a numerical pde solving/coding course which was a hybrid offering by the math/comp sci departments. Hard to beat that flexibility if you have the pre-reqs and can get the permission of the department chair to do it. Just remember if you do take the more difficult courses you'll be competing with physicists, engineers, mathematicians, and comp sci wizards. Definitely rewarding and puts you way ahead if you are able to get in one of these courses and do well.

If you are lucky Prof Abbot might teach you Risk Management too. :)

I have an MBA and an MSCS. I’d advise against an MBA. That is unless you are getting one from Harvard or Wharton and solely using it for alumni connections. Otherwise an MBA will not provide any sort of depth required for a technical field. Even their finance courses are pretty basic.
I'm old! NYU Stern's MBA will have no meaningful quant courses/depth. You'd have to go directly into their Statistics, Finance, or Operations research programs to get any depth.
Everything I've heard says it is the same as the undergraduate business degrees, just with the upper level courses for all departments instead of the lower level ones. So it's like adding another major in accounting, or Econ, or management.

Back