• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MS Industrial Engineers Campus Hiring

Hey guys,
Do consulting firms and Finance companies hire Industrial engineers(mostly international students) who have completed their masters with a focus on OR?What do companies like Mckinsey,BCG and so on look for in such candidates apart from their "charm" and talking abilities??

the careers im talking about are:
http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/create_your_path/career_pathways/career_pathways_advanced_degrees
(One thing that I think really helps is reading "case in point" book.)

P.S:Ill graduate from Purdue next year with an MSIE.There is lot of focus on OR but I don't know how to combine it with "finance".

Could you please elaborate??
Browsing through Linkedin I found many IE graduates working in consulting firms.

...There is lot of focus on OR but I don't know how to combine it with "finance".

If you can't combine what you learned in OR with finance, you have some other issues.

For example, these two guys:

http://www.math.cmu.edu/users/reha/home.html
http://public.tepper.cmu.edu/facultydirectory/FacultyDirectoryProfile.aspx?id=48

Wrote this book http://amzn.com/0521861705 which I have found very interesting. Maybe you should do more research about what you want to do.

Thanks a lot alain ..
I actually got that OR can be used in Finance..I was merely pointing out that in Pursue MSIE, the focus is more on domains other than finance.So I don't really know how I can bring in courses from finance department into the IE curriculum.Sorry for not elucidating properly earlier.

My major focus is on consulting cos and for what reasons do they hire IEs/or any other engineers for that matter.
Since Im still in my first sem Im trying to figure out how I can tailor my course from second sem onwards to make sure I have the skillset required .

Could you please elaborate??
Browsing through Linkedin I found many IE graduates working in consulting firms.
mbb's campus hiring is finished by now. apparently they dont recruit from purdue, so u dont know. by "campus hiring", i mean they go to target schools to setup workshops/seminars/networking events and recruit summer interns/fulltime hires.

mbb's campus hiring is finished by now. apparently they dont recruit from purdue, so u dont know. by "campus hiring", i mean they go to target schools to setup workshops/seminars/networking events and recruit summer interns/fulltime hires.
hey @IntoDarkness ,
Thanks for the quick reply...off my question do you know if they do hire in Carnegie mellon(for interns/fulltime)?
Most importnatly, are these companies focused on what major you are from?ie irrespective of your engineering degree can you get into these firms as a fresher(pls see the Mckinsey link posted above)
(eg:Few MS Mech Engineering friends of mine from CMU got placed in MBBs..since CMU doesn't have an IE department,I figured they must have taken courses from Math and business school.)

hey @IntoDarkness ,
Thanks for the quick reply...off my question do you know if they do hire in Carnegie mellon(for interns/fulltime)?
Most importnatly, are these companies focused on what major you are from?ie irrespective of your engineering degree can you get into these firms as a fresher(pls see the Mckinsey link posted above)
(eg:Few MS Mech Engineering friends of mine from CMU got placed in MBBs..since CMU doesn't have an IE department,I figured they must have taken courses from Math and business school.)
mbb recruit from cmu. they dont look at ur classes, majors, and other nonsense. they expect the candidates to to be analytical, smart, and personable with great communication skills and the ability to crack case interviews

Back