• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Msc in Mathematics (coursework) + CFA

Good day, everyone! I'll like to get your advice on this.

Instead of pursuing an Msc in Quantitative Finance (MQF), I'd want to do an Msc in Mathematics (coursework) and acquire a CFA certification.

Having an Msc in Math allows me to pursue some pure mathematics courses on the side aside from stochastic calculus and statistics. In contrast to the MQF degree, which is costly, it is also subsidised.

Questions:
1. Could I still work as an entry-level quant analyst (and get a job in it)?
2. What level of CFA certification do I need to overcome the finance knowledge gap?
3. What are the best resources for bridging the gap between quant finance and mathematics?
4. Would it be better if I did a Msc in Mathematics research over coursework? What are the real advantages here?

Interestingly, I am going on the same path as you, I recently got a junior Quant job and I am looking to do a MSc in Mathematics. Though, I also work on alot of heavy projects where I build trading bots, blockchains and anything else of interest to me that intersects finance and STEM skills. ( This kind of profile gave me 10+ interviews with 0 finance coursework in uni).

Now honestly, you know the first questions answer too, you can become a quant even with 0 finance knowledge ( although more difficult). I come from a pure physics and AI background and I've become a Junior Quant.

Also, CFA is good for bridging knowledge but I've never seen it be mentioned in any of my interviews. The best bridge between Quant finance and mathematics is, ......, PRACTICE! So many resources and books that teach you both and there really is no distinctive line, Quant finance has mathematical applications so it is in essence math.

For my own situation, i would not go for math research because it makes me more specialized and further makes it harder for me to compete as a Quant since I will spend ungodly amounts of time doing pure math research. I am planning to do a MSc in Math coursework, learn and master fundamental stats,math,time series analysis etc. , build upon my projects and trading bots ( you should start too) and excel at my job. I really enjoy High Frequency Trading and I hope i can etch a career out in it.

I hope this helps you.

Back