• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE msfm@chicago VS msor@columbia

hi everyone, I've been admitted to these two programs, and right now I am confused which program to enroll in. I mean msfm@chicago is more mathematics, but the program is a bit too short, and I've heard that it is very difficult for a graduate to get a work offer right after the graduation. My concern for the msor@columbia is that the program is like a backup for the mfe program and there are just too many alike programs there.

So What do you guys think about these two programs? Anything is welcomed!

Actually there is another program, phd in AMS at Stony brooks university, the track is Quantitative Finance.

hi everyone, I've been admitted to these two programs, and right now I am confused which program to enroll in. I mean msfm@chicago is more mathematics, but the program is a bit too short, and I've heard that it is very difficult for a graduate to get a work offer right after the graduation. My concern for the msor@columbia is that the program is like a backup for the mfe program and there are just too many alike programs there.

So What do you guys think about these two programs? Anything is welcomed!
Where did you hear that it is very difficult for a graduate to find a job right after graduation?

evril
Can you add your timeline to the Tracker? https://www.quantnet.com/forum/tracker/

The two programs are really not comparable. They are designed for different career scope. It would be hard to advise without knowing what you plan to get out of these programs.

Well, I hope I could work in market risk. I believe positions for risk management will increase and there will be many chances for master degree graduates.

evril
Can you add your timeline to the Tracker? https://www.quantnet.com/forum/tracker/

The two programs are really not comparable. They are designed for different career scope. It would be hard to advise without knowing what you plan to get out of these programs.

Hi, Andy

I am also thinking about Chicago.
Why would you say it is for different career scope? What's the career scope for Chicago?
I also received an offer from Conell, but it is applied operational research concentration. What would you say for this?
Do you think NYU is better?

Thank you very much.

Back