• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MSMF programs - My grades are... - Risk Management

However, I'd still like to know what Wall Street thinks of RM Quants!

http://www.ederman.com/new/docs/fen-interview.html gives a pretty high-level overview of RM Quant at an investment bank. Derman talks a lot more about some of the model review issues presented in his papers on model risk (standard references in the industry). Keep in mind that model risk isn't well-defined and that many models that have to be reviewed/validated are probably a farcry from say Black-Scholes. I used to think bank loan modeling seemed pretty complicated but I've been told by an MD in model review that it gets far worse (though he couldn't elaborate at the time since he was probably required to give me math problems).

Quants in RM generally build and maintain VaR-based models, so it's important for risk-monitoring purposes that they're doing a good job.

I know I have good taste and I'm well spoken and charismatic, but with no financial work experience or research history, I don't how I'm supposed to convey that on a sheet of paper.
I'm not trying to put you off, but if you have such a high opinion of your social skills, why not lean more towards the traditional front office (client relations etc)?

I didn't mean to seem narcissistic and if I did I apologize. I meant to convey that I'm confident in myself I'm just finding
It difficult to express that on a resume! + I'm much more interested in what I've stated previously! I don't want client relations to be my main job description; I'd prefer just to be a part of it.

No I didn't take it as narcissism, I am just saying - people skills are always useful, but much more so in a client oriented role and those roles are more sought after by the typical college student looking to get into finance.

It IS hard to express on a resume, that's why there's such value in building relationships whether through straightforward networking or through getting to know your professors.

So you think I'm just a typical college student looking to get into finance? :P

Back