• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

My chances for an admission at Baruch MFE

Hi All,

I am from India, I've got a GRE score from 2013 (164Q and 152V) 2 years of work experience in Portware a Buy side EMS(HFT platform) used by Buy side firms like (DB, JPM, GS, GIC etc) I worked in the FIX ATDL(FIX Algorithmic Trading Definition Language) project and also worked closely with a Hedge fund (Nezu Asia capital) I am familiar with various workflows on Trading floor. I come from an engineering background(I have all the Math subjects in my course) since I am a programmer by profession I can get along with any type of programming language (OOP's in particular).

I started planning for a MFE two weeks ago and was doing my research, I learnt that Baruch MFE application deadlines are open till April 1 so what are my chances if I want to apply given my profile above, what are the areas I can improve to increase my chances? Should I re take my GRE or any other courses? If so I will miss the deadline and have to wait for another year to apply. Please advice whether to apply now or not (I don't to waste $125 cause its a decent amount in Indian currency) If there is a chance for me to get in I will save a year time.

Hi Ujwal, so what did you do?
Have you got in somewhere now? Please help your juniors. I need help.

Definitely retake GRE imo. Get your quant score to at least 167+. The rest of your profile sounds good

First off there is a obvious black hole in your profile If your core sequence is mainly math and your quant is only 164 that raises some flags. The average score I repeat "average score" (princeton MFE still way up there but not as competitive as Barcuh MFE) is a 169 Q and 160 verbal. This is the 50th percentile we are talking here. To make sure you do not waste time, I highely suggest bumping your GRE to 330.. Heck my sister barely had a work record(she didnt even start her part time job as a researcher) but she had pretty decent academic record but she got into columbia's program.

The post is 3 years old.

Thanks for pointing out the black hole, I got sucked into Columbia's program in 2017 because of that, graduated 6 months back and working at a hedge fund with pay 50% higher than the average I repeat "average pay" of Baruch's students.

Back