• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

My first year of undergrad maths - experience

Hi everybody,

I am about to complete my first year of undergraduate mathematics course. I am doing an undergrad with mathematical finance in view. I wished to pen down my some learnings here.

I took courses on calculus, linear algebra, abstract algebra and analytic geometry.

Calculus : I solved plenty of calculus problems from this book - A collection of problems in mathematical analysis by GN Berman. To further my study of integral calculus and gain confidence, I am studying this text, A treatise on Integral Calculus which is very well organized.

Linear Algebra : Linear algebra has helped me build more mathematical maturity - e.g. work with objects like vector spaces, inner product spaces. It's all very intuitive. Proving some results (like a corollary), or a theorem's intermediate steps helped me gain more confidence. I created a small notebook of how cubic splines work - using elementary calculus and some numerical algebra. PCA is also a very useful tool.

Objects like a measurable space, a measurable function, sigma algebras, the probability triple - the typical setup in quant finance don't sound arcane to me, unlike before. I feel I am better equipped.

General reading habits: I have decided to educate myself a little more about the people who matter in modern mathematics beginning 1700 onwards. As a student of mathematics, I feel it is beautiful, to know about the work and life of a few key figures.

Taking notes: I have made it a practice to take detailed notes, important results and problems verbatim. Perhaps, not the best way to learn mathematics.

Courses in second year: The courses I am taking in my second year are advanced calculus, real analysis, ODEs, basic probability. I will be using Apostol's book for advanced calculus and Bartle and Shebert for real analysis.

I will be refreshing my C++ this year. To break in to a quant/semi-quant role, I think theory and the ability to solve problems numerically are equally important.

- Quasar.

Back