• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Need advice on application: IIT Stuart

Friends,

I need some advice on the programs offered by IIT Stuart.

Apparently they have 2 programs: - MS in Mathematical Finance and MS in Finance with concentration in Financial Engineering.
I'm gonna apply to one of these two.

Please tell me which one is better (in terms of placements, Faculty, course curriculum etc.)

Pour in your suggestions please.

MS in Finance is better and more reputed, anyway you can request a brochure from them.

MS in Finance is better and more reputed, anyway you can request a brochure from them.

Thanks Amir ! I have asked them to provide more info. MS Finance looks good especially with Financial Engineering concentration, but the only thing which worries me is whether the course curriculum is flexible enough to have Mathematical aspect of Finance as well, because I really don't wanna end up learning Corporate Finance. I want mathematics to be an integral part of it.

brochures are absolutely useless. dont depend on them. try to find student who is already in school .

brochures are absolutely useless. dont depend on them. try to find student who is already in school .

Thanks Jayanthan. Information about current students is not available on their website. Maybe I'll try to search in LinkedIn.

On the outset, what would you suggest. I have no prior knowledge of Finance and I'll be relying heavily on my Mathematical and Programming skills. Maths part would be the 4 Applied Mathematics courses I took during my Engineering, and the Programming skills which I have gathered over 2 years of my Work-ex.

When they say that the course is "MS Finance with concentration in Financial Engineering", it makes me wonder what is the difference between this and "MS in Mathematical Finance"

Brochures don't give you any insight into the program, they are just a brief intro to the programs. kind of Ads.
Compare their curriculum, and the required courses and choose the one which satisfies you:

MS Finance :http://www.stuart.iit.edu/graduateprograms/ms/finance/requirements.shtml
MS Math Fin: http://www.iit.edu/mathematical_finance/academics/

If you are looking for Math concentration, then you have to go for the Math Fin.
Rutgers also has a good program in Math Fin, take a look:
http://www.finmath.rutgers.edu/index.php?d=academics&p=degreeprogram
I personally prefer the latter.
GoodLuck

Back