• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Need an advice about carrer path

Hello everyone!

I just found this forum a couple of weeks ago and I'm grateful for your efforts to contribute to society. The area, what we're working for, is being a host for trillion dollar transactions for each day, everybody is trying to grab some piece of it..

The work has been done up to now in the area is very enlightening for us. Everyday we're trying to explore new concepts by researching tirelessly.

But I always felt a lack of something, may be in my educational background or in my talents. Now I'm very happy that I can ask for some advice to people which I share the same enthusiasm.

I graduated from Industrial Systems Engineering and Im currently doing my master's degree in Quantitative Finance. My both universities arent well known ones.
I took lots of courses about computer science and programming, and I wrote my bachelor thesis about genetic algorithms. Now, Im currently studying on genetic algorithms for my master thesis.

I know c++, c# and matlab very well, now Im trying to have a good command of them for financial area.
I want to continue to my PhD degree in the same area but I'm wondering about whether if Im qualified for finding a job in investment banking after completing my master's degree?

My universities arent in ivy league, but I have passion and ambition when it comes to this area. I just want to start from somewhere and I want to end up as quant. I'm currently living in Poland. What kind of personal work (except academic study) that I need to complete before I apply to internship or job opportunities in U.S.A. or in U.K.? May be some website with lots of computational project that I've completed up to now, may be I can prepare some kind of financial reports which can support investment decisions on the market that I'm interested in?

If you think that I dont have chance to be quant with this background, what will be your advices on my carreer path?

Best regards

N.S.

Back