• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Need Help with Profile

Hi all, just happened to find out this website before going to work. I am actually planning a career switch from computer vision research to fe. Have done some studies online on the admission requirements, it seems that I have some missing parts from the requirements of those big unis including Columbia (my first preference:)). Profile and questions attached below:

Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (anyone knows about this school? Ranked high but mm...):
Master of Computer Engineering (Research in Computer Vision) (A- A- B-, no maths course, but used maths in research)
Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Mechatronics) (Top 15%) (Overall GPA around 3.4, last two years 3.7)

4 Maths Course (A A A- B): Basically all engineering stuffs, calculus, linear algebra, multivariate calculus, fourier, laplace, ode, pde, taylor's, ...

Programming: C, Matlab and Assembly (perhaps can consider as close to advanced), but no Object Oriented Exp hence no C++ no Java, I guess its not too hard to learn.

One top rank conference paper in computer vision field (third author, project level submission), 78 out of around 2000 submissions around the world.

OK, the question comes now. Many Unis actually ask for calculus based probability which I have not heard before, I should have pretty good knowledge about basic prob/stats but not calculus based one. I might know some of them but I have not done a prob/stats course alone, always combined with others. Perhaps Mechanical doesn't need that much:) I have also got some background in design of experiment+anova+ffe, in my quality assurance course. Anyway, I would have been in academic research for almost 2 years by the time I apply. I don't know if my informal (no course) maths experience is valued for admission. Over here research is always like go and learn when you need it. GRE in 2008 verbal pretty low, but quantz 800, I will redo in few months time, quantz should be similar, should be able to boost verbal.

I am thinking of Columbia/Toronto/NYU. Berkeley/Stanford too top for me?

Can any senior comment on my profile? It seems like the requirements are quite rigid, like C++ over C...

Thanks in advance:)

I think your profile is pretty strong.

Math: It looks like you've covered most of the basic math requirements for admission, but realize that some applicants to top programs will have stronger math backgrounds. So if you have the ability to take a few extra math courses before applying, it would strengthen your application.

Be sure to mention your informal math experience from your research.

Programming: C++ and Matlab are fairly popular in FE, but you should be able to self-study C++ easily if you know C. The biggest change will probably be learning OO programming.

On retaking the GRE, for a top program you will need a quant score of 800. A higher verbal score will help but not at the expensive of a lower quant score.

Berkeley usually requires applicants with no finance background to take the CFA level I. But overall since you lack any finance background, doing some self-study in finance will help you. Take a look at some of the books on the QuantNet reading list.

Thanks dude for the info. Feeling much better:P

Just another minor question here, to see if I am right for MFE. I really love maths and programming and would love to apply them to finance, so academically it seems to be a good fit. I am quite a technical person. Besides, I would really hope that I can make use of what I have learnt to contribute to the field and perhaps the society. It might sound ambitious but it is really what I require in my career (my personal belief:)). I don't know if I am too optimistic about this. Finance is definitely important for the world to grow and it is worthwhile to work in, but mm... no offence here, just my $0.02, I actually don't feel that positive about the insurance and finance industry these days, mainly due to the very sales oriented culture. I don't know how to say, some how the traders/brokers/sales people? are like cheating others' money (maybe its not that bad)? Companies are really pushing those sales people to sell their products and it becomes so ... mm... sometimes I find my friends calling me everyday irritating. Sales is important but erms... It becomes worse when it turns out be loss and people's attitude can change so fast. Is the industry in a healthy grow?

I do admit that I am considering this route partly because of the good career prospect, working in Singapore as a normal engineering person doesn't really provide good life, well, acceptable but mmm... Perhaps I want more. But after all, I can't accept myself to be a selfish person.

About academic research, it actually fits my life goal but the route is too long. And I am kind of exhausted by the really long and steep learning curve. After experiencing both engineering (practical) and science (theory), I think I prefer real life applications. My family also doesn't want me to go overseas PhD for that long or settle down somewhere else (like US/Euro), but if I stay in academic, I have very little control over this so... Since I am finishing my master, I guess this would be a good time for me to decide, either forward or turn:)

MFE would be a big career switch and investment for me, do you think it is right for me? I should be able to do well, the issue now is more towards whether I really like that. Parents asked me to go back to family business but I rejected, not for me:P

Thanks a lot:)

Your questions mostly are variations of "how x will be in the future". The answer is "I don't know", "you don't know", "nobody knows".
Your main incentive (it seems at least) to do MFE is the financial prospect which as I already point out, is unpredictable for your case, and in general.
I would suggest that you think long and hard about this career path. Read more books from the master reading list. Talk to people who work in the financial sector.
If you can't tell people a financial role that you can image yourself doing in the next 10 year, it will be hard to convince people you have the a smallest clue about what you are about to face.

If anything, come up with your own career plan and try to convey it clearly in your essay. I can tell you right away that people who sound clueless in their application will go directly to the trash bin.

Thanks Andy for your advices. I did think and study in these few months. Should have a clearer picture of what the whole thing is about. I guess I am in a better position to comment now.

Just a bit of my status updates here, I am currently doing research in computer vision, but more machine learning oriented (previously 3D). Maths used extensively, I think machine learning is quite hot in finance nowadays too? Neural Networks (getting outdated?), SVM, Kernels...

Back to MFE, I see the importance of quantitative finance and modeling so academically I think it fits my interests (challenge/job satisfaction). Career wise... I don't know much about bank systems nowadays, but I am more inclined to risk analysis/modeling stuffs. And go academic at 50s. I still feel like doing some real research and make contributions, but perhaps after establishing financial independence. Using unsupervised learning to capture some unseen/ignored market behaviours could be interesting. With more and more data available, I think learning is a good direction to investigate.

I think Andy did point out something important about my motivation. Yes money is one of the key drivers for me. After all I need to be realistic about my housing, food, parents' living bla bla bla... But its not all. My master will end quite soon, at this point of time, I am looking for a career direction that values my skills (mainly quantitative/engineering/research) and offers me good career development. PhD is definitely in my consideration list. I am kind of at a T-Junction of whether to go academic or industry. It seems that industry is still what I want. Doing ordinary engineering work is just not enough to me. I don't have very specific preference, so MFE seems to come in as an excellent option.

My friend and I are also planning for some patent/commercialization stuffs. SG government has a lot of funding schemes for local startups.

What do you guys think? A junior engineering person exploring for a good career switch.

Also, what do you all think about FE at Toronto? I actually prefer to start at Toronto (study+work) and move back to Asia. Prefer SG/HK/ShangHai. Just not sure if Canadian degree is as well recognized as US one, but I suppose Toronto is like top in the world too? My dad's friend who used to be in top management of MayBank (Largest Bank in Malaysia if I recall correctly) told me to head to Wall Street.

Thanks in advance.

Back