• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Graduate (Tough spot)

Hi guys,

So I only recently got introduced to this forum because I was very interested in becoming a financial engineering. It all started in the beginning of the freshmen year that I wanted to be a quant. However, as I move on I realize my chances of going to MFE school was slowly going through the drain throughout the years because I had to work 25-30 hours a week in order to support my cost of education(My parents only make 25k a year) and my mom is disabled. . As a result I am now graduting with a 3.14 gpa with a 330 GRE score with no relevant work experience. I have dual majors from Stonybrook University in Applied mathematics and Pure mathematics with a minor in computer science . (I honestly dont know if this means that much). I do however, have two research experiences with data science in freshmen year and natural language processing in sophomore year. Now I dont have a full time job and I am afraid that I cant possibly become a Quant or apply to top schools that I wanted to do since freshmen year. This is a really crappy situation with COVID-19 shutting everything down and on top of that I dont have any of the credentials. What should I do? Because I am really disheartened and depressed because I deep down feel like I should give up. But I also know that I shoudnt give up.

Hi guys,

So I only recently got introduced to this forum because I was very interested in becoming a financial engineering. It all started in the beginning of the freshmen year that I wanted to be a quant. However, as I move on I realize my chances of going to MFE school was slowly going through the drain throughout the years because I had to work 25-30 hours a week in order to support my cost of education(My parents only make 25k a year) and my mom is disabled. . As a result I am now graduting with a 3.14 gpa with a 330 GRE score with no relevant work experience. I have dual majors from Stonybrook University in Applied mathematics and Pure mathematics with a minor in computer science . (I honestly dont know if this means that much). I do however, have two research experiences with data science in freshmen year and natural language processing in sophomore year. Now I dont have a full time job and I am afraid that I cant possibly become a Quant or apply to top schools that I wanted to do since freshmen year. This is a really crappy situation with COVID-19 shutting everything down and on top of that I dont have any of the credentials. What should I do? Because I am really disheartened and depressed because I deep down feel like I should give up. But I also know that I shoudnt give up.
Bro your literally me. I was working construction while commuting 5 hours a day back and forth to stony. I was a double major eco and Ams and had a 3.40. I took a year off and worked on my self and got into a top school. Hit me up I can give you some advice

Okay so its been about a week since I graduated, and I been applying to at least one job per day after graduation. I still got rejected by amazon and all the companies that I applied to. There is not alot there right now with covid 19 shutting everything down.
Yeah it’s not easy getting a job rn. With your gpa it’s gonna be tough. There’s students rn and some of the top mfe programs without internships. Tbh rn a job is a job and while your not working start building up your portfolio. Look at the Quantsu, hopefully that’s right, program @Onegin started and look at similar groups. Can’t feel bad for yourself and start to freak out. Stay calm and poised and work hard and things will begin to connect.

Also to get my first internship I applied to over 50 jobs when an undergrad. I got some very valuable experience and even got a solid salary and full time offer but decided I wanted to go into quant finance. From there i told one of my coworkers what I was doing and they helped get me a data analyst job when I was applying to mfe programs. So just keep your doors open and remember it’s tough rn

Okay so its been about a week since I graduated, and I been applying to at least one job per day after graduation. I still got rejected by amazon and all the companies that I applied to. There is not alot there right now with covid 19 shutting everything down.
Personally I'd cover my ass financially first then worry about specifics. If it involves taking up a job delivering groceries or welfare, whatever it is, get it sorted ASAP. That will take the pressure off as it removes uncertainty. Getting the portfolio built up on top of that will be hard, but you won't be alone - you'd be surprised some of the stuff classmates in their 30s have done to facilitate career changes eg one classmate earns 300 euro a week doing his PhD.

The doors open advice Michsund had is the best advice tbh. Just make sure it makes sense ie your first serious role being in a related enough field that you are suited to it. Then if you feel you can trust colleagues (you'll see soon enough), discuss your plans. They can help with advice and may have connections.

And tbh this is important anyway even once you get into a quant role you want. A lot of advice on these forums rightly points out the importance of communication skills as your quant career develops, but I feel people forget about networking with colleagues, which is important so you keep tabs with the market and don't get caught out.

Also consider Meetups which involve projects eg I am on the management committee of one in my local area which involves tackling industry problems in various fields. Builds up the portfolio and the management is myself, a CTO with 15+ years experience as a programmer and 2 with 20+ years business experience working with various programmers. On top of the portfolio build up, people get solid advice from people that have been there, done that. Also business people often attend these Meetups and if they see someone with skills in action have hired them. You do have to be patient as it takes time to put it all together, but for me at least I've gotten clients through it and it's been a damn sight more effective than any bullshit drinks events.

Last edited:
Back