• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Podcast Episode: Communications is Key to Success with CMU Professor Ed Barr

Hello QuantNet!

Enjoy the newest episode of Explicable: Communications is Key to Success with Professor Ed Barr.

Many former CMU MSCF students say that the most important classes they took while at CMU were the communications and presentations courses. In these courses, they learned how to communicate complexity, talk on their feet, and create engaging and impactful presentations.

Thats why this week I talked with Ed Barr, our communications professor here at CMU and a top marketing voice on LinkedIn. Ed has a background in marketing, serving as a marketing executive at a hospital and startup, and has spent 15 years total teaching at CMU. We talk about why he thinks many CMU students value these courses so highly, how his experiences shape his teaching style, and we end with a piece of advice for someone looking to learn how to communicate well.

Enjoy this episode on the importance of communications in quant finance with Ed Barr.

I've seen some short clips with Ed posted by CMU before. Communication skill is way underrated. I know some people in finance getting promoted with their communication skills where others with superior technical skills got passed over.
Ed often says: “They’ll hire you for your technical skills but fire you for your communication skills.”

Back