• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Next steps

I’m in 3rd year attending an ivy and majoring in math. I’ve failed to acquire an internship, mainly because I only started realizing I want to do quant (rather than math /research) in the last couple months.

I’ve just begun developing my own personal trading algorithms (with advice I got from an alumni), but I expect they won’t be ‘github worthy’ for a few months. I’ve begun applying to every quant internship position I see still open but I’m not very optimistic considering I have nothing on my resume besides math research (and graduate ML courses). I’m also kinda shit at leetcode- although I’m good at coding machine learning stuff in Jax from projects I’ve done.

I’m unsure what my next steps should be, especially if I don’t get any of the positions I applied to so late in the process. Should I grind the leet and try for SWE so I have something?

I’m not at all confident I could finesse a position post-graduation with with no internship or experience (or maybe I still could with my projects and showing knowedge?). Should I try to get a MS/PhD in Machine Learning, applied math, or something finance, and then going back to quant later? I’m 100% certain I want to be in the quant field, so just wondering best ways to get there with useful skills.

Thanks y’all

Last edited:
Back