• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Path forward/Planning next steps

Hi folks,

I've been drawn to the idea of being a quant for a while. Did a double major in Physics and Chemistry in university (top school in country), ended up staying for MSc and PhD in Physical Chemistry/Chemical Physics.

Now currently a postdoc at another very big R1 school. Decided I don't want to go the tenure-track route so I'm coming back to my dreams of being a quant. I'm mostly looking for quant researcher roles which is where I think I'd be the best fit.

Even though I did a lot of math/stats/programming during undergrad (and now day-to-day in my work/research), I'm having a tough time getting my foot in the door at big firms. Just got rejected (again) from Jane Street and still waiting on an intern role at Two Sigma.

So, to my question: I'm planning on staying in this postdoc for another 1.5 years. Given my profile, what should I study and how should I brand myself in the next 1.5 years so that once my postdoc ends I'm poised to apply and be competitive in the quant market?

If you're getting through the door and into final rounds at 2Sig then you don't need to be complaining on here. Broaden your search a little and you'll get into a good company without much delay.

Then, if you are dead set on 2Sig or Jane Street, you can try to transfer in with work experience.

Jane Street and Two Sigma are notorious for being a very tough nut to crack. The fact that you got an interview with either one is a huge plus. Did you get any feedback from the interviewers on what areas they feel you are lacking?
If so, you can improve on it. If not, like @MikeLawrence mentioned, broaden your search to other firms. There are a lot of good places for you to go to. Do not get too narrowly focused on the brand name firms.
We do have a list of all the hedge fund, banks here somewhere. Use the fact that you got an interview at JS as a confidence booster. I'm sure you will land somewhere.
In the meantime, go through the interview books Master reading list for Quants, MFE (Financial Engineering) students
Sharpen your C++ skills.

Thanks for the replies folks, you're right! I'll broaden my search and look at other firms

Back