• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

No Programming Experience

My recommendation, read both Bruce Eckel books (Thinking in C++ Vol I and II) cover to cover, code all the examples there and you will be ready to go.

Learning about C is very nice but you won't have enough time.

kbharadwaj, you can download one of the volumes as a pdf from the author's site. If you have one of those ebook reader contraptions...might be a good idea. You can buy it if you like the feel of a physical book

Bruce Eckel's MindView, Inc: Thinking in C++ 2nd Edition by Bruce Eckel

kbharadwaj, you can download one of the volumes as a pdf from the author's site. If you have one of those ebook reader contraptions...might be a good idea. You can buy it if you like the feel of a physical book

Bruce Eckel's MindView, Inc: Thinking in C++ 2nd Edition by Bruce Eckel

Hey thanks a lot man for your reply. I already downloaded both the volumes. Started giving it (vol 1) a read too. Now depending on the comfort level I would decide whether I would be buying it or continuing with the pdf alone.

Hey thanks a lot man for your reply. I already downloaded both the volumes. Started giving it (vol 1) a read too. Now depending on the comfort level I would decide whether I would be buying it or continuing with the pdf alone.
Have you read the preface
Prerequisites​
In the first edition of this book, I decided to assume that someone
else had taught you C and that you have at least a reading level of​
comfort with it.

Have you read the preface
Prerequisites​
In the first edition of this book, I decided to assume that someone
else had taught you C and that you have at least a reading level of​
comfort with it.

Ok I did not read that. However due to time constraints I choose C++ directly.

You are right, Alain
Simula and Smalltalk had probably little overlap with C.

Back