• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Non-compete and resumes

Hi all,

I'm currently nearing the end of a long non compete that spans 2013 and 2014. I was wondering whether or not to include it in my resume, and if so how. For example in the professional experience section I currently have

Hedge fund XYZ, City, State date1-2013
Quantitative Researcher

I was thinking of adding a line above this one:

Hedge fund XYZ, City, State 2013-2014
Serving non-compete.

If it is ok to leave non-compete periods out, I would prefer to do so, for the sake of saving space. I can always verbally communicate the situation to prospective employers, but I am worried that it may raise suspicion among interviewers (why don't you have 2014 info there, etc) who were not told about my situation in advance, and such suspicion may cloud their first impression.

Thanks in advance,
Anon

Yeah! This is fine. I have one ex-colleague and a friend who have something similar on their Resume. They got interviews which they converted so I guess its acceptable.

Thanks moretodo.

Anybody know whether its acceptable to leave out the NC lines? I don't like having two lines focused on my non-compete in front of all the important material (lines are in reverse chronological order, ie most recent stuff first). On the other hand if there is an "expected way" of addressing non-competes, I would like to follow it, as I don't have anything to hide.

Just sent one out without this info, but with the non compete disclaimer in the email.

You don't have to put everything in your resume, it is not ur autobiography. As long as you could justify your actions, you should be fine.

Back