• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Non-STEM Undergrad Chances

Hi!

I'm a student at the London School of Economics pursuing a BSc in Politics and Economics. I'm interested in applying for MFE (UCB, UCLA, Columbia etc) and MFin programs after my undergrad but I'm extremely worried that my undergrad major will set me back. Does anyone here have any experience getting into top finance programs with a social sciences background? I would appreciate any advice.

Some context -
I'll be going into 2nd year this September
Some relevant modules: microeconomics, macroeconomics, quant methods (mathematics), quant methods (statistics)
In my 2nd year I'll be studying more advanced microeconomics and macroeconomics, along with 2 econometrics modules
Even within politics, we have some quantitative aspects such as voter modelling, regression analysis for voter trends
I have no computer science classes but I will try to take 1 data science and 1 higher math module in my 3rd year
I'm taking Coursera courses in Python, C++ as of now, and I will move on to machine learning next year once my programming skills are a little better
Currently an intern at an asset management firm in India

Are the finance programs mentioned above completely out of reach for an applicant like me? Any thoughts, opinions, words of advice would be very helpful.

Thank you so much!

Is it possible to switch majors to something more math focused?

For MFE and quantitative finance programs (mit mfin, Princeton mfin) you should try to take a first class in probability theory, linear algebra, and multi variable calculus.

For non-quant masters in finance, you don’t need a quantitative background. Business clubs and internships in finance are more helpful.

Also quantitative finance masters may not be the best option for you depending on your goals. LSE is a top school so you likely have good recruiting opportunities in other areas like IB and consulting.

For MFE and quantitative finance programs (mit mfin, Princeton mfin) you should try to take a first class in probability theory, linear algebra, and multi variable calculus.

For non-quant masters in finance, you don’t need a quantitative background. Business clubs and internships in finance are more helpful.

Also quantitative finance masters may not be the best option for you depending on your goals. LSE is a top school so you likely have good recruiting opportunities in other areas like IB and consulting.
Thank you so much! My stats and math classes have covered a decent amount of probability theory, linear algebra etc.

Do you think I should not try for the quant programs at all? Or should I keep doing online courses and give them a shot?

Thank you for your advice:)

Thank you so much! My stats and math classes have covered a decent amount of probability theory, linear algebra etc.

Do you think I should not try for the quant programs at all? Or should I keep doing online courses and give them a shot?

Thank you for your advice:)
If you have time, I would keep doing your classes because it’s always good to have more skills. I’m guessing you want to do a masters in the US for a visa. A more general masters degree like computer science paired with relevant electives gives you more options than a MFE. Unless you particularly want a job as a sell side quant at a bank, personally I would go for more general degrees to future proof and keep your options open. I’m not familiar with the required background for other masters like computer science so you would have to look into that. You could always try applying to a many different programs including quant finance.

Overall, seems like you will graduate LSE with econometric skills (very useful) and some foundations in probability and linear algebra which is great. Just try to take calculus 1, 2, and 3/multi variable (if you haven’t already) to complete your foundation. After that, I think you will be in a good position for MFE and it’ll probably open up other options as well. Also, it’s great that you are doing an asset management internship, get as many internships as possible.

Good luck!

If you have time, I would keep doing your classes because it’s always good to have more skills. I’m guessing you want to do a masters in the US for a visa. A more general masters degree like computer science paired with relevant electives gives you more options than a MFE. Unless you particularly want a job as a sell side quant at a bank, personally I would go for more general degrees to future proof and keep your options open. I’m not familiar with the required background for other masters like computer science so you would have to look into that. You could always try applying to a many different programs including quant finance.

Overall, seems like you will graduate LSE with econometric skills (very useful) and some foundations in probability and linear algebra which is great. Just try to take calculus 1, 2, and 3/multi variable (if you haven’t already) to complete your foundation. After that, I think you will be in a good position for MFE and it’ll probably open up other options as well. Also, it’s great that you are doing an asset management internship, get as many internships as possible.

Good luck!
This advice is very very helpful. Thank you so much :)

I will continue doing the courses and will look into broader programs as well.

Thank you again! Appreciate the help.

Back