• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU M.S.

Hi everyone, Thanks for reading this and helping me out...

I am finishing up my application for the NYU M.S. in mathematics in finance program, and was very excited, until I saw on the wiki that only 75 out of ~900 applicants are admitted.

I would feel alright about my chances, except that I am coming from a major in the biological sciences. I graduated from Notre Dame in May 2008 with a 3.52 for my undergraduate degree, and since then have been taking math, econ, and stats classes at the University of Missouri to improve my background for program's like NYU's. Like I said earlier, I liked where I was at, until I realized how slim the acceptance rate is, and the hoards of maybe more qualified people with pure math/engineering backgrounds who will be applying.

Before I get to my main question, let me just point out my goal of what I would like to do for a career. My idea was to get a Master's that would land me a job somewhere in the financial industry (Goldman, etc.), and then after working for a few years, get an MBA from a top-5 business school and find a job in private equity or venture capital (yes, I know these are few and far between). My idea was to work on financing for startups in molecular biology/biosciences companies to take advantage of my undergrad. degree.

My question for the forum is, if the quantitative programs like NYU's or Columbia's would be a far shot for me to get into coming from a biosciences background, what are some programs that could also lead into an entry level job with a firm like Goldman?

I have a pretty good GRE score (800Q, 640V) and GMAT (730), and also just for kicks, I have a 167 LSAT (96th %ile) and 36 MCAT (97%ile)... I know those don't help me here. Maybe the NYU program isn't the best option for me to get on with an investment banking firm, so I'd be very grateful for any advice from everyone on this board who has so much more expertise then I do on the financial sector...

And of course I'm going to finish applying to NYU, but I would really appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.

Thanks,
Matt

Apply to NYU anyway. The stat you saw on Quantnet wiki is for 2008. For 2009 incoming class, the number of application is lower, in the mid 600.
You keep saying your goal would be "an entry level job anywhere in the financial industry" but you mentioned Goldman twice.
There are about a dozen or more programs listed in the wiki so you should at least apply to few more.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Apply to several good programs. Getting job at Goldman is not easy, no matter which program you graduated from.

hi mtemplem! also biological science background! i'm so happy to see you in this forum here. i'm considering this path and applying to a program or two as well. seems like you took all different tests, so you must have considered many career options. and thus I was wondering, are you in it for $? why aren't you pursuing md or phd? i'm also applying to md/phd and phd programs this year, but as i have been finishing up applications and getting ready for interviews, i wasn't so sure about going through long years of training years (10years for phd/post-doc and 15-16 years for md/phd/post-doc/residency/fellowship) where i will get paid maybe 24000-30000 dollars a year is really worth it. even after these long years of training, i will most likely earn 60000-80000 for phd and 80000-100000 for md/phd (if i take this path, i would be interested in academia). i want to help my parents and my sister financially. also i want to marry and have a family. so i've been considering past month or so about this career. again, i can't decide and want to hear many people's opinions about this career. thanks so much!

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Apply to several good programs. Getting job at Goldman is not easy, no matter which program you graduated from.

Obviously an applicant should diversify his options. I'm not arguing your point, I just thought this was a cool quote:

Behold the fool saith, "Put not all thine eggs in the one basket" -- which is but a manner of saying, "Scatter your money and your attention;" but the wise man saith, "Put all your eggs in the one basket and --WATCH THAT BASKET."

Back