• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU Tandon MFE NYU MFE in 3 semesters?

Hi all,

The NYU Tandon MFE is a bit longer than most programs at 2 years in length. However, the program website states that ''students enrolled full-time will complete the program in 4 semesters (May) although some may accelerate the course load and graduate within 3 semesters''.

As I'm currently finishing a short master's program, I'm fairly keen on wrapping up my second degree in 1.5 years. However, I wondered how realistic it was, in practice, to cram the NYU MFE coursework in 25% less time - especially coming from a non-quant background. Four courses per term seems to be the norm at most schools, so I was a bit surprised to see that the standard courseload at Tandon was 9 credits.

Is there anybody that completed the Tandon MFE program in 3 terms that could comment on their experience? Or someone in the program that would have a rough idea of the % of students that do so? I couldn't seem to find more info on the subject on the forum at large.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Hi all,

The NYU Tandon MFE is a bit longer than most programs at 2 years in length. However, the program website states that ''students enrolled full-time will complete the program in 4 semesters (May) although some may accelerate the course load and graduate within 3 semesters''.

As I'm currently finishing a short master's program, I'm fairly keen on wrapping up my second degree in 1.5 years. However, I wondered how realistic it was, in practice, to cram the NYU MFE coursework in 25% less time - especially coming from a non-quant background. Four courses per term seems to be the norm at most schools, so I was a bit surprised to see that the standard courseload at Tandon was 9 credits.

Is there anybody that completed the Tandon MFE program in 3 terms that could comment on their experience? Or someone in the program that would have a rough idea of the % of students that do so? I couldn't seem to find more info on the subject on the forum at large.

Bump

Hi all,

Hi -- roughly 1/4 of our students complete the program in 3 semesters. This is entirely the student's choice.

Can someone weigh in on why most U.S. financial engineering/mathematics programs are designed to last 1.5 years? My impression is that most jobs start in the fall rather than spring. The wide spread interests of completing NYU MFE in 3 semesters rather than the scheduled 2 year also make me a little confused.

Can someone weigh in on why most U.S. financial engineering/mathematics programs are designed to last 1.5 years? My impression is that most jobs start in the fall rather than spring. The wide spread interests of completing NYU MFE in 3 semesters rather than the scheduled 2 year also make me a little confused.
Most master programs in the US are 36 credits which consist of 12 courses of 3 credit each. Full time is defined as 12 credits a semester so most programs are designed around 3-semester curriculum. I would say majority of the US master programs are like this. MFE programs are similar in this aspect.
Some programs evolve to longer length over time due to market condition or other reasons. For example, one year programs may feel like they need to stretch it another semester so students have extra time to find job.

NYU Tandon has a somewhat different approach. Our courses are difficult, and so here we have defined a full-time graduate student as one who takes 9 credits each semester. In fact, here, to take more than 12 credits in FE in one semester requires permission of the Dean's Office. So the typical student finishes the 33 required credits in 4 semesters. About 1/4 of our students accelerate and complete in 3 semesters. @Alex Ng is correct --- most job openings happen in May. Our students understand this and that's why they typically finish in May. Also: being in NYC is a lot of fun, and rushing through graduate school makes it harder to enjoy life.

NYU Tandon has a somewhat different approach. Our courses are difficult, and so here we have defined a full-time graduate student as one who takes 9 credits each semester. In fact, here, to take more than 12 credits in FE in one semester requires permission of the Dean's Office. So the typical student finishes the 33 required credits in 4 semesters. About 1/4 of our students accelerate and complete in 3 semesters. @Alex Ng is correct --- most job openings happen in May. Our students understand this and that's why they typically finish in May. Also: being in NYC is a lot of fun, and rushing through graduate school makes it harder to enjoy life.
By taking 9 credits a semester the first 3 semesters, there would be only 6 credits remaining in the 4th semester to complete the 33 required. However, if I am not mistaking, I believe that international students must be enrolled in a minimum of 9 credits per semester to maintain their F1 visa ? Thus, in the last semester, are students allowed to take additional credits (making the total number of credits higher than the 33 required) with no additional cost ?

By taking 9 credits a semester the first 3 semesters, there would be only 6 credits remaining in the 4th semester to complete the 33 required. However, if I am not mistaking, I believe that international students must be enrolled in a minimum of 9 credits per semester to maintain their F1 visa ? Thus, in the last semester, are students allowed to take additional credits (making the total number of credits higher than the 33 required) with no additional cost ?
Good question. The answer is "no" -- the US government permits international students to be "full time equivalent" in their final semester of studies if they take fewer credits than a formal full-time load but enough to graduate. So no additional credits, no additional cost.

Back