• View the 2024 QuantNet ranking of the Best UK Quant MSc Programs.

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE NYU MSMF v Columbia MFE

Hi all, I've been admitted to and am currently deciding between the NYU MSMF and Columbia MFE programs, and was hoping to get some more insight into the programs' placement record.

From what I've seen, the impression I get is that NYU's careers service gives really strong support to the MSMF program (unsure about Columbia MFE), and that a lot of students are placed into front-office quant positions in New York.

I was wondering - what kind of positions are students usually placed into from these 2 programs? Is it mainly trading or quant research positions? I ask this because my goal is to secure a position doing fundamental research, and wanted to know if MSMF/MFE students are ever get placed into these kinds of roles, and whether the program would be good preparation for such a role.

Thanks a lot in advance!

My answer will disappoint you...
1. for fundamental research, neither program is a good fit. Very few students from MFE program gets to do those work because MFE does not teach how to do FA (MBA does...)
2. I think the placement of NYU and Columbia MFE are similar. Some of them (but not all) get FO quant positions (harder and harder these days). Some get risk positions or sale/trading positions. The placement of MFE students become very diversified these days (because of the tough job market for quants), just go to CMU MSCF website to see their positions.

Hi all, I've been admitted to and am currently deciding between the NYU MSMF and Columbia MFE programs, and was hoping to get some more insight into the programs' placement record.

From what I've seen, the impression I get is that NYU's careers service gives really strong support to the MSMF program (unsure about Columbia MFE), and that a lot of students are placed into front-office quant positions in New York.

I was wondering - what kind of positions are students usually placed into from these 2 programs? Is it mainly trading or quant research positions? I ask this because my goal is to secure a position doing fundamental research, and wanted to know if MSMF/MFE students are ever get placed into these kinds of roles, and whether the program would be good preparation for such a role.

Thanks a lot in advance!
They're both great programs, so I don't think there is an incorrect choice. Have you tried emailing them directly for more precise placement stats?

just to add sth from my perspective -
i think our program is very quant oriented, not sure if columbia msfe is as quant oriented.
we have employer presentations for full-time students, where we meet with heads of teams directly and interview afterwards.

They're both great programs, so I don't think there is an incorrect choice. Have you tried emailing them directly for more precise placement stats?
lol i don't think either Michelle or Petter will respond to an email asking for that. but doesn't hurt to try

Back