• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU Tandon MFE NYU Poly MFE - Deposit

Hello! My name is antwnia and I am new to this forum. I have an offer for the NYU Poly MFE program. I would like to ask, is it posible to make the required deposit in order to secure my position and then change my mind and tell them that I won't attend? I know that I will lose my deposit fee but I don't care. The fact is that I am waiting to hear from other 2 universities and the answers will come certainly after NYU's deadline for the deposit. Is it binding to attend if you make the deposit?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
I deposited at MIT and declined it a month later. I lost half of the deposit...

So it is not binding. Thank you very much Artur, I really appreciate your help

You should tell them though that in case you get another offer you withdraw your application, so that they expect that. That's what I did. I made it 100% clear that I'm depositing the money only as an insurance policy in case my other top choices decline me...

Yes tha's probably the right thing to do. However, my question had to do with the legal side of it, i.e. if it is binding after one accepts her/his offer to attend the program and pay the tuition fees in full.

No that happens all the time. Admissions committee understands that student's life to a large extend depends on this choice... This happens even with phd admissions with full support...

Back