• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE NYU-Poly MFE vs Rutgers MQF

Hi

My name is Jay Kim and I've got admissions from Financial Engineering MS program of NYU-Poly and Quantitative Finance MS program of Rutgers Business School. Both of programs are very attractive, yet those two seem to be very different to me.

MQF in Rutgers appears to be higher ranking and qualified rigid program, but the review and the information on the website imply that the curriculum is somewhat inflexible.

MFE in NYU-Poly is ranked lower according to 2011 Quantnet Ranking of Financial Engineering Program, but the variety of electives is very attractive. I'm aware of the merging but I'm can't be sure about whether I could possibly expect some benefits from the merging.

I'm am little bit more attracted to NYU-Poly simply because I was born in NYC. I was born in Manhattan but I went to Korea when I was 3 and spent most of my life in Korea, which means that I'm pratically a Korean. (I have US citizenship, though.) I've always wanted to go back to where I was born. In terms of tuition, NYU-Poly is much better choice because I've got 30% scholarship from NYU-Poly. But I just can't stop thinking about the programs' ranking, so I'm not very sure which program to choose.

I am thinking about getting jobs in US right after I finish my graduate education, but haven't decided which specific area I want to do.. I also have desire to have job in Korea, but that will be after I make some career experience in US, so maybe when I become 30s? Not really sure about it..

Could anybody give me some advices which program is possibly more recommended? And I would be grateful if anybody can give me any advices.

Thank you

Are you the type of students who will needs a lot of help in networking, interview and career services?
Or are you the go-getter type who will go out and knock on doors to create opportunities for yourself?
Do you know precisely the type of courses you want to take or why? Or do you need a roadmap?

As a domestic student, you have a huge leg up on job opportunities as it eliminates a hiring obstacle but you still need to get in the doors and manage to interview as well or better than your classmates.

Thank you Andy. As I gave up Korean citizenship and decided to make myself an American, I guess there will be many problems and I should be working double-hard. Maybe triple-hard :) I have to admit that I'm not much close to the go-getter type for now.

Could you possibly recommend which program is better off than the other? Or is it totally up to my personal preference in this circumstance? I searched and found the exact same question on this website, but I only found out the fact that there are three different MFE program in Rutgers and the program which I have been accepted is not actually the program which has been ranked top 10, although MQF program also seems to be qualified program.

I suddenly became a lot confused and having trouble with comparing two programs.

Thanks again Andy. I appreciate your help!
Unfortunately, I cannnot visit any of those programs because I'm in Korea right now..

It seems that I have to make decision based on the information I have gathered so far and my preference.. :)

Back