• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU-Poly Rejection

This is really UNBELIEVABLE and frustrating.
I come from the same school as you do, and I have several friends without too many Math & CS courses or a high tank, who got admitted by Poly with even scholarship.
I think it is worth arguing with adcom, if Poly is really where you wanna go.
However, I do believe a strong applicant as you are, is to receive much better offers. You may just have to wait.

This is really UNBELIEVABLE and frustrating.
I come from the same school as you do, and I have several friends without too many Math & CS courses or a high tank, who got admitted by Poly with even scholarship.
I think it is worth arguing with adcom, if Poly is really where you wanna go.
However, I do believe a strong applicant as you are, is to receive much better offers. You may just have to wait.
well if you go to Poly, ofc it is easier to get in.
i agree that OP is strong applicant but his low GRE score is gonna kill his chance for any program. verbal does not matter but 145 is way too low. it is so low that admission would doubt whether he really achieves other high grades by himself; if he did, then it shows that he does not take the GRE seriously. then it is a character flaw, worse than academic weakness. it is difficult to defend OP for that low score. i think admission made the right decision but OP can try to argue and say that you will take GRE very soon. i believe the biggest mistake OP made was his ignorance of verbal score. other than that, i think OP is a competitive candidate.

i agree that OP is strong applicant but his low GRE score is gonna kill his chance for any program. verbal does not matter but 145 is way too low. it is so low that admission would doubt whether he really achieves other high grades by himself; if he did, then it shows that he does not take the GRE seriously. then it is a character flaw, worse than academic weakness. it is difficult to defend OP for that low score. i think admission made the right decision but OP can try to argue and say that you will take GRE very soon. i believe the biggest mistake OP made was his ignorance of verbal score. other than that, i think OP is a competitive candidate.

Agreed on GRE. 145 is like a 350 on the old test and that's like 20th percentile. I have met too many students who are amazing at math but can't speak English properly and that is a turn-off for employers and admission committees. A good GRE Verbal score does not mean you are great at English, and a bad one does not mean you aren't, but at least a good score shows you tried hard and that you care.

Make sense. Maybe the low verbal score just impairs the credibility of his other achievements.
Or maybe there is a floor limit, only above which score your application would be carefully reviewed. It's my rough guess.
Anyway, I do believe OP should retake the GRE test. A verbal of greater than 155, I believe, would largely improve OP's competitiveness.

Make sense. Maybe the low verbal score just impairs the credibility of his other achievements.
Or maybe there is a floor limit, only above which score your application would be carefully reviewed. It's my rough guess.
Anyway, I do believe OP should retake the GRE test. A verbal of greater than 155, I believe, would largely improve OP's competitiveness.

The low GRE score could be a factor. Basically none of the admissions committee may take the GRE seriously, but it's considered a good, coarse first-stage filter. I've known people that have gotten low standardized test scores to email or phone to give an explanation, and it's worked out for them, as they had otherwise good applications. That leads me to believe that admissions committees think that the filter will only hurt people that either don't have a good explanation or weren't interested in accepting an offer.

Do not lose heart Francis. Retake your GRE and do better in verbal. I am sure you will get into other and possibly better universities.
Like I said earlier, you should have applied to Rutgers. Its a brilliant university and much better reputed than Poly. Rutgers does not give absurd weightage on GRE scores. Seeing your profile, I am quiet sure that you had a good chance at Rutgers.
Anyway, you might want to take your GRE again, and come back stronger! All the very best.

• Just try again. I was rejected from NYU's MBA program one year because I didn't take the essay that seriously, and I didn't get the best recomondataions (they were good, but from lower level people). Just applied again and got in no problem (was cocky with my 760 GMATS and my other 3 degrees)

Might be about third tier. It is kind of the last resort for most applicants. So if you have to make a choice between Poly and any other university from the top 20 quant ranking, you should go for that other university.
How is it compared to Rutgers MQF ?
I am a finance undergrad with no work experience...my application has been tough~

I am a finance undergrad with no work experience...my application has been tough~
Rutgers MSMF which is a brilliant course. MQF is very good too. I think it about the same as Poly. But you should go for Rutgers! It is a far better university ac compared to Poly! And once you are into Rutgers MQF, chances are that you might be able to switch to MSMF after the first semester, because the foundation courses are pretty similar!

Rutgers MSMF which is a brilliant course. MQF is very good too. I think it about the same as Poly. But you should go for Rutgers! It is a far better university ac compared to Poly! And once you are into Rutgers MQF, chances are that you might be able to switch to MSMF after the first semester, because the foundation courses are pretty similar!

It is not at all common to switch from MQF to MSMF. The programs do not have any real relationship. The MSMF courses are more mathematical than MQF, and the one case I know of, the student struggled due to the difference in emphasis between the curricula.

It is not at all common to switch from MQF to MSMF. The programs do not have any real relationship. The MSMF courses are more mathematical than MQF, and the one case I know of, the student struggled due to the difference in emphasis between the curricula.
Oh okay! I didn't know that the two courses were that different from the very beginning. I spoke to a MSMF alumnus who graduated about 6 years ago. He said that the real difference is only evident after completion of the first semester. Things have probably changed now. Thank you for the information.

I have been accepted for the Rutgers MQF and rejected for MSMF. I really wanted to do MSMF. I was really hoping to try and switch after the first semester. Getting back to the question of Rutgers or Poly, RUTGERS for suree!

Oh okay! I didn't know that the two courses were that different from the very beginning. I spoke to a MSMF alumnus who graduated about 6 years ago. He said that the real difference is only evident after completion of the first semester. Things have probably changed now. Thank you for the information.

I have been accepted for the Rutgers MQF and rejected for MSMF. I really wanted to do MSMF. I was really hoping to try and switch after the first semester. Getting back to the question of Rutgers or Poly, RUTGERS for suree!

If you really want to switch, probably the biggest obstacle I see in terms of graduating on time is the Math Finance I & II sequence which follows Shreve very closely (but not by volume, vol 2 is started in course I). It seems unlikely that from MQF you'd be able to jump into II after one semester, which means, you'd have to wait until the next fall to take I.

However, in terms of reputation, I can tell you that nobody hiring knows what the difference between MQF and MSMF is, and it's likely they don't even know there are multiple programs at Rutgers. All they see is the "finance" part and "Rutgers".

In fact, sometimes it seems like MSMF grads have some difficulties as most people on Wall Street expect a "masters in finance" grad to know about basic finance concepts. The MSMF background comes in real handy when they start asking you about finite difference methods in solving Black--Scholes type PDEs, but most of the time the interviewer doesn't even know half those words. So going to MQF could be considered a blessing in some ways.

If you really want to switch, probably the biggest obstacle I see in terms of graduating on time is the Math Finance I & II sequence which follows Shreve very closely (but not by volume, vol 2 is started in course I). It seems unlikely that from MQF you'd be able to jump into II after one semester, which means, you'd have to wait until the next fall to take I.

However, in terms of reputation, I can tell you that nobody hiring knows what the difference between MQF and MSMF is, and it's likely they don't even know there are multiple programs at Rutgers. All they see is the "finance" part and "Rutgers".

In fact, sometimes it seems like MSMF grads have some difficulties as most people on Wall Street expect a "masters in finance" grad to know about basic finance concepts. The MSMF background comes in real handy when they start asking you about finite difference methods in solving Black--Scholes type PDEs, but most of the time the interviewer doesn't even know half those words. So going to MQF could be considered a blessing in some ways.
Thanks a ton for the information. Really appreciate it. Rutgers is where I'm headed most likely. Unless something better comes my way, of course.

HI CS~
are you in Rutgers currently? How do you find the employment opportunities for international students there?
thanks for the info~

Back