• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU POLY review?

I am attending the FE program this Fall...The University's 2011 fall graduate group has over 400 members...
However in the MSFE doc I created I found only 16 students.
I had a similar question about the huge batch size but this left me a bit confused..
The 400+ group consists of all admitted students into the university's graduate programs. It doesn't say anywhere that the group is FE specific.

Did anyone attend the Poly info session for admitted students today? If so, did you get a better sense of the program? And what was your first impression ?

The 400+ group consists of all admitted students into the university's graduate programs. It doesn't say anywhere that the group is FE specific.
I created a doc for FE students..but only found a few among the 400 students.

I created a doc for FE students..but only found a few among the 400 students.
I am not sure if you are talking about the Facebook group but I am enrolling in FALL 2011 and I didn't accept the group invitation yet, So I wouldn't be trusting that number so much.

Don't mean to offend anybody.. but I do not have a very positive feeling about the program at nyu poly. It may just have been luck, but of the 6-7 inters we got from poly only 1 was good to work in the industry. The remaining were though very book smart but just couldn't apply their smartness to work. I can just say from what i have experienced, dont knw a lot about the program as such....

I was one of the first graduates from NYU-Poly. The education was/is outstanding. I've been trading Credit & Interest-Rate Derivatives for the past 15 years since I graduated. I would NEVER have survived my first month on the trading floor without the knowledge I gained at NYU-Poly.

Well I wanted to know the current perception of Poly in the Finance Industry. The university does not reveal much in terms of placements or internships.

Well I wanted to know the current perception of Poly in the Finance Industry. The university does not reveal much in terms of placements or internships.

As I graduated quite a while ago, I cannot comment on the placement of recent grads. However, I also went to the NYU MBA program, which does a fantastic job placing 2nd year students. If I were to go to NYU-Poly now, I'd be on a first name basis with everyone in Stern's placement dept.

Also, the graduates that I know, who've been on the street for over 10 years are all doing phenomenally well. There are many Senior MD's & Senior VP's at the big banks & money managers with NYU-Poly MSFE diplomas hanging in their offices.

As I graduated quite a while ago, I cannot comment on the placement of recent grads. However, I also went to the NYU MBA program, which does a fantastic job placing 2nd year students. If I were to go to NYU-Poly now, I'd be on a first name basis with everyone in Stern's placement dept.

Also, the graduates that I know, who've been on the street for over 10 years are all doing phenomenally well. There are many Senior MD's & Senior VP's at the big banks & money managers with NYU-Poly MSFE diplomas hanging in their offices.

Sounds Great!!! I will be joining poly this fall so its positive info..Thanks

The class size is big compared to other schools for obvious financial reason. You can't balance the size and a strict admission creteria.
There are some good professors, willing to teach. Listen, we are all master students, not PhD. Sufficient knowledge and willing to teach are all it counts. Some professors come unprepared and not willing to accomondate questions.
Administration staff are unprofessional. They can hardly answer any of your questions. You may wonder why they are there.
Usually, if the school doesn't publish recruitment statistics, it means not positive. Go and do your homework through linkedin. You can also get some information.
If you are only applying because you can come to US, Poly is there for you.
If you need to learn something in FE, prepare your pre-requisitive carefully. That gives you a greater percentage to succeed. You come and know how to interact with professors and get most out of them, day one.
If you are not prepared, forget it. It is hit or miss.

I said that, and trust me.. you don't want to go to poly.. most of the people i know from their were still looking for jobs after 1.5 years of graduation and doing pretty much anything to stay in the country (internationals).. like low level accounting jobs, data entry stuff to stay in the country.. etc

That happens everywhere these days due to a substantially less than favorable job environment. When it comes to job searching, I don't think school name is the determining factor. International students are in an even worse situation right now; less and less employers are willing to set aside allowance for sponsorship.
It all depends on what you are looking for when you try to decide among different programs. Bear in mind, what a two-year program teaches is really basic knowledge and skills, doesn't matter which school it is. Students at Poly MFE will have some level of flexibility in the job market since the curriculum doesn't focus on one set of knowledge or skills. Classes range from fixed income, equity capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, risk management, valuation of derivatives and etc.

One piece of advice, if you really want to be a quant, go directly into a solid PhD program instead of any MFE program.

And yes, Poly students have the full access to NYU career resources.

Back