• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE NYU poly vs. Stevens MFE

Hello all,

I have got admits for MFE program from Stevens Institute of technology and NYU-Polytechnic. I would like to know some pros and cons (along with some statistics if possible) of both of them which would help me decide which one to opt for.
Need to compare both w.r.t. below points:
- although courses on the Univ website look impressive but need some insight whether their course structure is aligned to the industry requirements
- teachers/ teaching quality
- Career/ job placement statistics (even approximate idea will be appreciated)

Also, say suppose, if I get some scholarship in NYU-Poly, and if at the same time Stevens is slightly on the upper side (w.r.t above points) as compared to NYU-Poly, then should I go for Poly or Stevens?

Replies/responses are highly appreciated. Please help.

Hi aspirantfe,
I graduated from Stevens MFE in May 2008 and the course curriculum has been evolving to meet students', industry's needs.
I can only speak for my own experiences as a student so what applies to me may or may not apply to anyone else for that matter.
What I like most about Stevens MFE is its flexibility in its curriculum. I was able to take relevant, proof-based classes in mathematics which I think is useful when coming across financial models or equations which requires a certain level of mathematical maturity to understand. I think this is what makes a good education; in that it builds the necessary foundation for us to survive/learn new things on our own after graduation.
Depending on your interests, you can specialize in 3 or 4 different financial engineering tracks under Stevens MFE program. The more mathematically-inclined students and/or students who wish to pursue a PhD in Financial Engineering tend to specialize in the Quantitative Financial Engineering track.
I like the quality of teaching at Stevens. Most of my professors at Stevens teach well. I attended a so-called top tier undergraduate school and felt short-changed as professors tend to focus on their own research rather than teaching students well.
Despite all the above pluses, career placement for Stevens MFE is not very good, which is regrettable because Stevens has such a strong reputation amongst employers in its main engineering and computer science programs. I don't know how difficult or easy it is for Stevens to leverage that reputation and extend it to financial engineering and I think more effort and coordination is needed from both the program director and career services.
In terms of education quality, I think both Stevens and NYU-Poly are about the same with NYU-Poly having the slight edge due to its connection to NYU and possible synergies and benefits to tap from NYU faculty/network. One huge potential benefit is the NYU's career office which I surmise NYU-Poly students have access to as well. Another benefit of attending NYU-Poly is the growing reputation due to the connection to NYU. Being in Manhattan and closer to where the financial action is helps a lot as well.
If I were you, I would go for NYU-Poly.

One huge potential benefit is the NYU's career office which I surmise NYU-Poly students have access to as well.
Incorrect. NYU MathFin and NYU-Poly FE are two independent programs with no career services resource being shared.
NYU-Poly main campus is in Brooklyn with satellite office in 55 Broad street building. This is the same building that CMU, Cornell rent for their NYC classroom.

The only programs with Manhattan campus are Baruch, Columbia, NYU, Fordham.

Also if I am not wrong, Nyu-Poly has a massive class. 200+ from what I had read somewhere?

The NYU-Poly FRE program is the largest in the world, about ten times larger than the average program. Financial engineering programs typically have about 25-35 students. NYU-Poly FRE has about 350.

Wow....350.

and What the hell.. Google Rankings?

A robust and transparent comparison can be done with the number of pages returned by a simple Google search. The table below shows the approximate number of Google results for each program.

Thanks, Andy, for clarifying.
Could you also list down the electives you have taken as Baruch so people who are not accepted to Baruch MFE can at least use it (along withe Baruch's core classes) as a benchmark/guideline for the kind of classes they can take at their respective institutions?

Thanks Andy, Joy, Olgenue for your inputs/suggestions. I really appreciate. Given that the placement scenario is equally bad at both the univs and faculty is good, I might go with the option of taking up NYU-Poly as it is strategically located. Also considering the fact that I have been awarded some scholarship I am seriously thinking of taking up NYU-Poly.

From what I was told about NYU-Poly from a professor on the admissions committee, they admit about 120 students and about 90 enroll.

Thanks, Andy, for clarifying.
Could you also list down the electives you have taken as Baruch so people who are not accepted to Baruch MFE can at least use it (along withe Baruch's core classes) as a benchmark/guideline for the kind of classes they can take at their respective institutions?
9845, 9848, 9873, FIN 9790

Back