• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU scientific computing VS Columbia MFE

If I want to find a job in hedge funds or quantitative trading, which of the followings is better? Before comparing, we can ignore NYU math finance program since it is really difficult to be admitted. We just compare NYU scientific computing and Columbia MFE.

The MS in SC at NYU is offered by the popular Courant Institute, so this brand could be very powerful at NYC when seeking a job. Moreover, if choosing a concentration in data science, there are only three required programming courses and a math stats course, then one may choose all other courses in mathematical finance. Most of all, I believe this major may have stronger programming ability than financial engineering students.

The Columbia MFE is offered by a ivy league school, so the brand name is much better than NYU. However, when talking about quantitative stuffs, many people think Courant Institute is much more powerful than Columbia at NYC. On the other hand, though NYU MSSC program can allow students to choose lots of math finance courses, the name of degree is not financial engineering, so Columbia MFE can have a better name here.

So please compare the two programs above, which one is better for hedge fund or quantitative trading?

This is totally my personal opinion.

I feel MFE kind of degree is good if you already have certain technical expertise in whatever field it is e.g. computer science, statistics, math, etc. Basically MFE introduces you to finance world using a bunch of mostly orthogonal courses and hence helps you decide which section of finance world you want to serve through your original skills.

You have not mentioned your prior education or expertise so hard to give a precise opinion. But assuming that you are coming out fresh from your undergrads, I would think in long run it is more important to have a solid technical expertise of some kind. Some people I know who were pursing Ph.D. in hard science field took a bunch of finance electives to get into the industry.

Maybe other people can shed some more light on my opinion.

Back