• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE NYU Tandon MFE, Columbia Math Fin, Chicago MSFM

Hi,

I'm deciding between these programs. My goal is to become a quantitative trader. I have read lots of comments about the NYU MFE and MSFM but had not received too much information about the MAFN.

Here's my current understanding of these programs:

NYU MFE
-Pros
1) NYC (More job opportunities)
2) Peter Carr
3) Low tuition add a scholarship
-Cons
1) Financial Accounting as a core course
2) Graduate placement

Columbia MAFN
-Pros
1) NYC (More job opportunities)
2) Strong alumni
3) Better reputation on Wall Street
-Cons
1) Bad career service
2) Less emphasis on Financial Computing (No course in Optimization)
3) Fewer courses in financial products

Chicago MSFM
-Pros
1) Project Lab (Almost equals to internship)
2) Solid training in Programming
3) Chicago (More trading firms/HF opportunities)
4) More trading courses
-Cons
1) Bad career service
2) Fewer courses in financial products

In the QuantNet Ranking statistics:
The employment rate 3 months after graduation: NYU MFE 76% MSFM 97% MAFN 89%
Average starting base salary (not including bonus): NYU MFE 84k MSFM 86k MAFN 92k

#The attached file is the comparison of the curriculum. ( * stands for elevtives).

I heard that the career officer of MSFM, who sent a lot of students to CME internship, was retired.
Don't know whether it would affect the program placement.

Any information about placement and curriculum would be greatly appreciated.
It would be great to know some recruiters' views about the graduates from these programs.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Course List.png
    Course List.png
    228.2 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Whatever information you have provided is all I know as well.

I would definitely choose Columbia or Chicago. More inclined to Chicago if Columbia MathFin competes with MFE. And trading jobs are much much more rewarding and challenging in the long run.

Whatever information you have provided is all I know as well.

I would definitely choose Columbia or Chicago. More inclined to Chicago if Columbia MathFin competes with MFE. And trading jobs are much much more rewarding and challenging in the long run.
are you turning down GATECH?

Can't decide. Waiting for NYU MathFin to make a decision. I do prefer a course in Mathematics department. GATECH has actually a very good ROI. I talked to a Columbia MFE alumnus today, he didn't have a very good opinion of it.

I have admits from Columbia math fin and gatech. Earlier i was sure about joining Columbia mathfin but a colleague of mine from Columbia mfe did not give good opinions about Columbia's programs both MFE and Mathfin. He told me it makes no sense to spend 110K for these programs. Whereas for gatech i revived positive reviews from the same guy and he regret not going there.

I have 3 years of work experience (1.5 years - supported index strategy desk of BAML in devleoping multi-asset investment strategies, 1.5 years - statistical modeling at Blackrock). My goal is to get prcing or desk quant kind of roles after graduation but not limited to that. I am open to challenging and interesting job opportunity with a bank or an asset management firm.

People who are based out of NY are telling me with past experience(quant research and statistical modeling) and having Columbia on my resume will help in getting interviews. My problem is as i come from a lower middle class family taking a huge amount of loan for Columbia mathfin will be a big burden. Gatech is manageable as it has almost half the fess of Columbia but the only disadvantage is location, i will have to work very hard to get a decent job.

Guys i am in a dilemma and have very less time to decide hardly 5-6 days. Please help me with your suggestions.

Thanks

Earlier i was sure about joining Columbia mathfin but a colleague of mine from Columbia mfe did not give good opinions about Columbia's programs both MFE and Mathfin. He told me it makes no sense to spend 110K for these programs.

Thank you for your reply.
It is nice to hear opinions from experienced workers.
Did your colleague give comments on Columbia MAFN other than the tuition?

I have admits from Columbia math fin and gatech. Earlier i was sure about joining Columbia mathfin but a colleague of mine from Columbia mfe did not give good opinions about Columbia's programs both MFE and Mathfin. He told me it makes no sense to spend 110K for these programs. Whereas for gatech i revived positive reviews from the same guy and he regret not going there.

I have 3 years of work experience (1.5 years - supported index strategy desk of BAML in devleoping multi-asset investment strategies, 1.5 years - statistical modeling at Blackrock). My goal is to get prcing or desk quant kind of roles after graduation but not limited to that. I am open to challenging and interesting job opportunity with a bank or an asset management firm.

People who are based out of NY are telling me with past experience(quant research and statistical modeling) and having Columbia on my resume will help in getting interviews. My problem is as i come from a lower middle class family taking a huge amount of loan for Columbia mathfin will be a big burden. Gatech is manageable as it has almost half the fess of Columbia but the only disadvantage is location, i will have to work very hard to get a decent job.

Guys i am in a dilemma and have very less time to decide hardly 5-6 days. Please help me with your suggestions.

Thanks
If you are truly concerned about the loan, then gatech is a practical option as you mentioned. With 3 years work experience under your belt already, I don't think you will have trouble finding a job coming out of gatech. If you do wish to work in the city, then being at Columbia is definitely beneficial. I suppose it depends on where you want to work and if the loan is a dire concern.

Thank you for your reply.
It is nice to hear opinions from experienced workers.
Did your colleague give comments on Columbia MAFN other than the tuition?
Yes , they told me it's a well reputed program in wall street with a stronger alumni base then mfe but the courses are theoretical. You can take some computing and machine learning electives but this is the most toughest course in Columbia. No career services, so it is difficult for candidates with no prior relevant work experience to find jobs. In my case they told that as i have relevant work experience finding job won't be a problem but again the fees is the issue for me. What do you think will be the estimated cost for this program?

https://www.quora.com/Columbia-Univ...ce=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa

Can anyone from U Chicago's MSFM attest to the practicality of the project labs and their experience of job searching after graduation?

Thanks
Guys I need more suggestions. Please help.

Can anyone from U Chicago's MSFM attest to the practicality of the project labs and their experience of job searching after graduation?
Well the work experience which their project labs provide you is great. You get a chance to solve some real time industry problems. However, there career services are not good at all and one of the student currently studying there told me that the faculty doesn't care about improving that. But it's Chicago so getting local jobs won't be a problem, if you want to bag jobs in NYC you have to work hard but yes in Chicago the school has a very good reputation.

Well the work experience which their project labs provide you is great. You get a chance to solve some real time industry problems. However, there career services are not good at all and one of the student currently studying there told me that the faculty doesn't care about improving that. But it's Chicago so getting local jobs won't be a problem, if you want to bag jobs in NYC you have to work hard but yes in Chicago the school has a very good reputation.

Thank you for the info!

Can't decide. Waiting for NYU MathFin to make a decision. I do prefer a course in Mathematics department. GATECH has actually a very good ROI. I talked to a Columbia MFE alumnus today, he didn't have a very good opinion of it.
what would be your choice between NYU MSMF and COLUMBIA MFE?? :)

Back