• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU Tandon MFE v UCLA Anderson MFE v Imperial RMFE

NYU Tandon MFE v UCLA Anderson MFE v Imperial RMFE

• NYU Tandon

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • UCLA Anderson

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Imperial

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
I've been admitted to all 3 of the above programs and am struggling to make up my mind.

Things to consider:
- I want to work in either NYC, Chicago, or Toronto out of university.
- I am Canadian.
- My background is an undergrad in Pure Mathematics
- I've been working for the better part of a year in ERM Risk Modelling for an insurance company.
- I'm a sociable person and would like to end up in an interactive/team roll, not just sitting at a computer programming all day.

Things I like about each program:

- NYU Tandon: Peter Carr has been putting in work since he got there and it's beginning to show. The program itself is very diverse and the small class size will lead to a lot of 1-on-1 time with professors. Location is prime for someone trying to land a job in NYC. Scholarship.

- UCLA Anderson: The program is run by the business school. The MFE specific admissions team personally accepted me, as opposed to a general acceptance from the other schools. The feeling I get is that they will work with me to guarantee my employment after the program, and the name "UCLA" will help.

- Imperial: It's Imperial.

Things that concern me:
- NYU Tandon: The lack of screening process for the application; no interview, no explicit English requirement other than a TOEFL score, no direct interaction with me until my acceptance. This leads me to believe that students were only accepted because they met some meaningless criteria (i.e 165+ Quant score, 3.5+ GPA, etc..).

- UCLA Anderson: The large incoming class size, that is going to be split into two cohorts of ~40 students each. The location given where I want to work. The lack of electives in the program, however I do like the required internship.

- Imperial: Also the location, and whether the international aspect makes me desirable to employers.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Real thankful for all the votes, but I'm more curious to hear your reasoning behind it.

NYU Poly is yet an unproved commodity. Perhaps it will be a great program in 5 years, but why should you take the risk? Go with UCLA. Don't know much about Imperial.

I don't think US companies value international academic or work experience highly enough, stay in US if you want to work here.

I don't think US companies value international academic or work experience highly enough, stay in US if you want to work here.

That's what I've gathered from various conversations I've had with professionals both in North America and abroad, so I think I'll attend either NYU Tandon or UCLA Anderson

NYU Poly is yet an unproved commodity. Perhaps it will be a great program in 5 years, but why should you take the risk? Go with UCLA. Don't know much about Imperial.

Do you mean that the program inadequately prepares you, or that the program inadequately assists you in finding employment afterwards? From what I have seen, I believe the latter to have been the case more so than the former. In fact, I can't imagine there being a huge difference between a particular course in one program vs the same course in another program... thoughts?

Marchi, sorry for the threadjack, but how is the job market in Canada right now? What companies would you apply if you would like to work in Toronto?

Back