• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Obtaining an MFE through PhD

I'm a veteran who decided to get out and pursue a degree in computer science. After my first semester back I made a switch to applied math and computer science and unless an internship leads to an interesting job after undergrad, I plan to pursue at least a masters.

My professors have advised me that with a competitive resume (4.0 GPA, TA experience, tutoring, published research) I could get into a good PhD program and take the classes I want and complete a masters and drop out of the program. If I were accepted into a reputable PhD operations research or financial math program (columbia, princeton, cornell, NYU, Harvard, SUNY, Berkley, UCSD, UCLA) is it possible to complete an MFE has a PhD student?

Thanks for your time

MFE usually have tailored curricula that are not satisfied by any PhD programs, so no.

I think this question get asked time and time again on this site. A Phd from another program and an MFE are apples and oranges, you need to evaluate yourself and determine which one you REALLY want to do, as @mhy said, you can't get the MFE through the Phd program simultaneously.

So you want to take a PhD because you wanna take the master classes which is requirred and then drop out from the PhD with the passed master classes?

Why dont you just take a masters and get the degree then?

Last edited:
So you want to take a PhD because you wanna take the master classes which is requirred and then drop out from the PhD with the passed master classes?

Why dont you just take a masters and get the degree then?

Strictly for financial benefits. PhD students are often offered assistantships and tuition waivers and funded masters programs are less common.

I think its a stupid idea. And the fact, that you take a PhD seat that you not gonna use is just pissing on others who might want that seat.

Other than that you will just be "another person" whi failed to complete a PhD, and you will be asked about it in interviews.

I think its a stupid idea. And the fact, that you take a PhD seat that you not gonna use is just pissing on others who might want that seat.

Other than that you will just be "another person" whi failed to complete a PhD, and you will be asked about it in interviews.
it's not as stupid as you think. It's just opportunity cost. If he/she is willing to take the hit in time, it might as well try to get in. That will be its meal ticket. You might be upset but if he/she gets in, he/she probably deserves it. The world is not fair and now that you want to work in finance, you might as well get start getting used to it.

I'll agree with alain and go against Kann and say that it is a very good and sensible idea, if you can do it.

Not all programmes grant masters degrees as part of the PhD programme, though, so make sure you do your research.

Also beware of the possibility that you enjoy your PhD and want to finish it ;-)

My professors have advised me that with a competitive resume (4.0 GPA, TA experience, tutoring, published research) I could get into a good PhD program and take the classes I want and complete a masters and drop out of the program. If I were accepted into a reputable PhD operations research or financial math program (columbia, princeton, cornell, NYU, Harvard, SUNY, Berkley, UCSD, UCLA) is it possible to complete an MFE has a PhD student?

No, I don't think so. I don't think any of these universities are going to let you get an MFE through the back door, so to speak. The MFE program is a cash cow for them. The master's you get en route to a PhD is usually after you've completed the oral exam, which involves defending an expository paper -- a master's thesis -- and which demonstrates you're ready to embark on a doctoral dissertation. This is probably some time during the fourth or third year. It's a time-consuming way to obtain a master's degree. A lot of doctoral students do drop out with this master's degree as their consolation prize -- but it was not their prime target. In some cases they may not even pass the oral exams but the department makes some provision for them to exit with a master's degree -- again, this is time consuming.

Back