• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Ok to contact other schools when you get an offer?

Hi All,

In general, if your offer from School A is expiring soon, but your top choice is really School B, which you are still waiting to hear back, is it okay to send an email to School B rushing them a little bit? I know in a job search, it is totally fine to "leverage" your exploding offers, but not sure if it works the same in grad school applications.

In my case, the school I wanted to email explicitly said they won't release decisions before a certain date. Would you just wait in this situation?

Thank you so much and best of luck !

In my case, the school I wanted to email explicitly said they won't release decisions before a certain date. Would you just wait in this situation?
That's your answer right there. This usually applies to programs that are B-school based and have several rounds of deadline and release all decision on a set day (MIT, CMU, etc).
Other programs are much more flexible since they release decision throughout.

That's your answer right there. This usually applies to programs that are B-school based and have several rounds of deadline and release all decision on a set day (MIT, CMU, etc).
Other programs are much more flexible since they release decision throughout.

Oh. I thought maybe in the case where the student has an exploding offer, they would be flexible. Thank you so much Andy!

You probably mean "expiring offer". I would be afraid to receive anything "exploding". ;)

sorry. "exploding offer" is more an industry word i guess. It is very commonly used among job applicants and HRs:)
I will make sure not to use it in emails to grad schools!

o_O Looks like the expiring offer is more like an "imploding offer", if you dont act on it soon :P remember the old saying.. one in hand is better than 2 in the bush ! eat the birdie !

Back