• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

On savings rates and how we got here

A new blog post by Anthony DeAngelis, our newest blogger

We are coming off a time of unprecedented spending. Home ownership percentages went much higher than normal. Credit was easily obtained and very cheap. Home prices skyrocketed and people took advantage of this increase in equity to further fuel the economy. Now that the good times are over does it not surprise people that Americans are saving more, deleveraging, staying away from homes and otherwise hunkering down?
Credit is shot, interest rates have risen and floating rate mortgages are adjusting. The US consumer is not going to bail us out this time. Frankly, I feel as if this is something we are going to have to ride out. All the poking and prodding is almost irresponsible. It is also unrealistic.
Consumers can’t do it anymore. Credit standards have been tightened dramatically. Those who have credit are paying it off ASAP because of the increase rates. Others cannot keep up and are seeing their credit worthiness destroyed. Either way that amounts to people not spending.
On savings rates and how we got here | Quant Network

Thanks for posting the link to those videos. I found it shocking how dismissive people were of Peter. Watching those 2 fools on Fox News laugh at him solidified my belief that I will never watch that "news" channel again.

Back