• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

On Wall Street, Truth-Tellers Got Punished

It’s well known that analysts rarely put sell ratings on the stocks they cover. Typically, the explanation for this is that banks don’t want to jeopardize their investment banking business.

The reality is much more complicated. Skeptics and whistle-blowers risk huge career costs that go beyond conflicts of interest. Investors think they want unvarnished advice, but many don’t truly appreciate it. Most banks don’t want employees to play detective. Regulators abandon whistle-blowers, acting tardily and ineffectually.

After he was fired, Mr. Maris found that other big banks didn’t want to hire him for research jobs. Even some institutional investors and hedge funds, which one might imagine would appreciate a skeptical voice, wanted no part of him. Many investors think an analyst who is picking fights with companies is a glory hound, and the last thing they want is publicity.

But because Mr. Maris is willing to be publicly negative on stocks, he continues to face obstacles. He is prevented from asking questions on conference calls. Companies don’t allow him to bring clients on visits. Some clients seem concerned about the lawsuits in his past.

“If you asked me what’s my advice for a young analyst who wants to be in business for a long time, I wouldn’t tell them to follow the path I went,” he says. On Wall Street, “everyone knows you play ball or live with the consequences.”

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/06/01/for-one-whistle-blower-no-good-deed-goes-unpunished/

“If you asked me what’s my advice for a young analyst who wants to be in business for a long time, I wouldn’t tell them to follow the path I went,” he says. On Wall Street, “everyone knows you play ball or live with the consequences.”
Makes sense.

Back