• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Online Courses on PDE, Numerical Analysis, and C++

Hi all,

I will be joining the UCB MFE program in March 2015. To better prepare for the program, I've been asked to take courses on PDE, Numerical Analysis, and C++.

Could anyone recommend good online courses (paid or free) on these subjects? BTW, has anyone heard of the Saylor Academy? They offer free online courses (http://www.saylor.org/courses/ma222/) on these subjects, but I'm uncertain of their quality.

Thanks in advance,
Zhengnan

Have you checked with Berkley staff if they will accept courses offered by other institutions? The answer i guess will be a flat no. They want you to take the pre-program courses that they offer even if the content offered by others is identical.

Did you get admit in R4?
I was admitted in R2.

They do accept graded courses from other accredited institutions. But most of the institutions that offer these courses began instruction in early Sept. If I enrol now, I will have missed half of the course. That's why I'm looking for courses that let you choose your own start time.

Hi all,

I will be joining the UCB MFE program in March 2015. To better prepare for the program, I've been asked to take courses on PDE, Numerical Analysis, and C++.

Could anyone recommend good online courses (paid or free) on these subjects? BTW, has anyone heard of the Saylor Academy? They offer free online courses (http://www.saylor.org/courses/ma222/) on these subjects, but I'm uncertain of their quality.

Thanks in advance,
Zhengnan
I had a quick look. It looks quite rigorous. For example, I noticed Sara McMurray's contents, some of which I did in 1972 from her at Trinity College.
Do you intend doing all Units?

Computational finance is mainly convection-diffusion-reaction PDE and more importantly FDM for theses.

I have FDM courses on www.datafinancial.com

I had a quick look. It looks quite rigorous. For example, I noticed Sara McMurray's contents, some of which I did in 1972 from her at Trinity College.
Do you intend doing all Units?

Computational finance is mainly convection-diffusion-reaction PDE and more importantly FDM for theses.

I have FDM courses on www.datafinancial.com
Yes, I intend to finish all Units. But it may take me quite a while because I don't have a particularly strong math background. I've only taken Cal I and Linear Algebra in college. Any suggestions on how I should tackle PDE? Thanks.

Yes, I intend to finish all Units. But it may take me quite a while because I don't have a particularly strong math background. I've only taken Cal I and Linear Algebra in college. Any suggestions on how I should tackle PDE? Thanks.

Maybe some preparation is useful.

a. Widder, Advanced Calculus, for nitty-gritty.
b. McClure Boundary Value Problems and Fourier Expansions, a nice overview of PDE.

Linear algebra is not so useful for PDE, it being discrete. You need to know differentiation and integration.

hth

Last edited:

Ask UCB to delay admission for a year. You don't have enough time to prepare (and I'm surprised UCB admitted you with such a threadbare math background). There's no fast way from calc 1 to PDEs. You need calc 2 and calc 3 as well, and then a course on ODEs which emphasises the use of linear algebra. For PDEs the best introduction I know is An Introduction to Linear Analysis by Kreider, Kuller, Ostberg, and Perkins, which was published about fifty years back. This book assumes only elementary calculus but takes you right up to boundary value problems for PDEs (in the last three chapters). The catch is that it's over 600 pages (excluding the appendices on infinite series, determinants, and uniqueness theorems). It will take you time to work through it.

For PDEs the best introduction I know is An Introduction to Linear Analysis by Kreider, Kuller, Ostberg, and Perkins, which was published about fifty years back.

Yep.

Ah, so you have a copy? I wasn't sure anyone here had heard of it. I've bought three copies of it over the years -- that's how valuable I consider it to be.
Yes, I used it as undergrad. Great book. For PDE and Fourier I would Tolstov's book (Dover).

In numerical analysis, the best US and Soviet books on Numerical Analysis were written in the 60s. Big budgets in those days.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,
Zhengnan

Hi Zhengnan,

Are you admitted with a condition?

Berkeley does offer some pre-programs, such as math foundations for financial engineers, including PDEs, probability, etc. , as well as statistics, C++ programming and Numerical Analysis courses. So I think you'd better register for the pre-program courses at Berkeley. It is the most effective way, which also definitely meet their requirement. (and I think it should be "preprogram" that they require rather than other alternatives, specifically.)

BTW, Can I know some information about your background? I am still planning to apply next year.

THX

Last edited:
Back