• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Online Engineering ..?? Really...??

How about your Friends, network, politics, drama, chiks, cafe, sharing, discussions, debate, cordination, booze, weed, flirting, clubs, activities, perceptions, pride, pejudism, sharp, shrude, fights, cunning, good, bad and a Looooot !!
Overrated. You don't need a college for those.

How about your Friends, network, politics, drama, chiks, cafe, sharing, discussions, debate, cordination, booze, weed, flirting, clubs, activities, perceptions, pride, pejudism, sharp, shrude, fights, cunning, good, bad and a Looooot !! I dont think undergrad institutes, when they intake youngsters/teenagers at their best age, the curriculum or syllabus is not the only purpose/reason. There is Lot more to Learn especially while u r an undergrad. To shape up for more wide and strange world..!!

You can see Nayagra falls in Youtube but thats no where near when you get into that Maid of the Mist !!

Irrelevant , there are NO standards to how many collage parties you need to go to in order to receive a B.Sc last time I checked :)
I can play on your rules and say that someone who is doing and on-line degree have much more time and is more flexible to have a real life and make real-life experience instead of sitting in classes.

Irrelevant , there are NO standards to how many collage parties you need to go to in order to receive a B.Sc last time I checked :)
I can play on your rules and say that someone who is doing and on-line degree have much more time and is more flexible to have a real life and make real-life experience instead of sitting in classes.

That s someone's choice !!
And... I have made friends online but not my best ones. I would have completely spoiled/in-disciplined if I were asked to login from home every morning 9 o clock classes. !! My math professor wouldnt even have known me to write an LOR. I am not talking about some short term courses or some matured graduations(even they might have cons though).

Well, I'm currently in college and I almost never attend to classes (boring).

All I do is read the books, do the exercices and if I have questions; I write an e-mail to the prof or go see him.

So, an online degree seems pretty normal to me. Actually, it will be cheaper with a higher quality (no distractions).

Do you really mean to say you don't pay attention to classes? Otherwise, you probably should attend classes in the English dept., or at least read the textbook :D (jk I don't go most of my classes either).

Do you really mean to say you don't pay attention to classes? Otherwise, you probably should attend classes in the English dept., or at least read the textbook :D (jk I don't go most of my classes either).

lol, well, I speak different languages during the day, so pardon me if my english level's very basic (I'll try to improve it!) :D

It really depends.
  • If you are an avid studier and will be in the library five hours a day - these degrees are definitely more flexible.
  • If you are confident at tackling any obstacles that you may encounter by yourself - that means without a teacher or classmates
  • The degree is a relatively simple one such as psychology, English, education, etc.
  • It's much cheaper usually
  • Most online degrees are offered from universities with a reputation at handing out online degrees and are therefore not as respected
  • You will not get a real college experience
These are all the details I could think up. If you can read this, shrug your shoulders and say: "eh!" Then go for it. Me personally? No way!

Online/distance learning is pretty much the future of education.

One of my biggest concern is that the tenure track professorship as it is today will vanish within the next two decades. What in the world are newly minted PhD students going to do? They'll flood into industry along with all the other professors who lost their jobs because their schools went under.

And we have MIT Open Courseware to thank for making online education accessible to so many people.

MIT Open Course is overrated, most of the times there are missing parts of the course, most of the time the lectures are far from the best I have seen and their search function is quite shitty. The final blow is that their level doesn't seem to hold up to MIT mythical status.
I was quite disappointed to be honest :(

( don't take this as being so negative , it's just that I was expecting MIT to be much better, they did prove useful here and there )

I'm doing courses with LSE via the London International programme at the moment and think it is a great system.
The online video materials aren't at the level of MIT yet, but the VLE is certainly coming along, and uses Moodle as it's core.
There is also access to an online library of white papers and similar which is very helpful.

I'm doing courses with LSE via the London International programme at the moment and think it is a great system.
The online video materials aren't at the level of MIT yet, but the VLE is certainly coming along, and uses Moodle as it's core.
There is also access to an online library of white papers and similar which is very helpful.

What program are you attending? Can you post links and some general data?

Back