• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Online Trading Platform

Abdel

Economist
I'm currently using HSBC's InvestDirect trading platform and I want to switch to a better one.

Any recommendations?

What online broker do you use? And why? Do you use specific online brokers for equities and others for options etc? What are currently the best spreads?

I'm going to start trading with about $1,350 [I know, not much] and I was wondering what are the best online brokerage firms for a beginner but I'm not hopeless, I have some sense of what I'm doing?

I have not personally used it but ThinkorSwim.com is supposedly the best out there right now, especially for options trading.

The best out there (in my opinion), is the NinjaTrader/Mirus/ZenFire trio, but that isn't for a beginner. ThinkorSwim is by no means the best, but it is very good for a beginner. For options trading the best is OptionsHouse.

The best out there (in my opinion), is the NinjaTrader/Mirus/ZenFire trio, but that isn't for a beginner. ThinkorSwim is by no means the best, but it is very good for a beginner. For options trading the best is OptionsHouse.

That's what I meant, thanks for clarifying. ThinkorSwim has good training information available, which is what he seemed to be asking for.

Have anyone of you guys thought about chaining a software holding your investment logic to any of the above suggested brokerage firms? I was thinking about it for a while and decided to construct something like the following and I wonder your opinions if I'm not deviating from OP's interests.

Imagine a software involving some investment theories (like Markowitz Portfolio Selection theory) running 24 hours a day and executing your predefined logic of investment decisions granting you the ability to inject new ones from time to time. There might seem nothing new but how widely used is such automated home-owned software system giving orders to the brokerage houses without your direct interventions? Or is it more convenient to manually recalculate the profit maximizations every time you need to place another order?

I saw Interactive Brokers' WebTrader and I got the feeling of insufficiency since it does only allow you to manage your portfolio from the technical point of view, meaning that you can place limit-buy, limit-sell orders, order deferrals, etc. and it's nothing new, but it doesn't give you the ability to build your own logic of investment automatically. On WebTrader platform you can trade shares only after having manually suffered from reconstructing the portfolio realizing good/bad news released, share price movements, correlations changed, etc. But what if you had that logic already implemented into the software doing all those work on behalf of you? Like for example I always construct (and rebalance) a portfolio investment logic according to the XYZ theory. Having automated this theory saves you time and computational hell everytime you need to buy/sell shares if the outcome of your hand-calculating is to be the same.

Not the webtrader, look for API on their website. Using broker's API and not a platform you can develop your automated strategies. Also, search this forum for Interactive Brokers, they used to have automated trading competition and some students on this forum participated.

I have used Interactive Broker before. The API is decent and is flexible in terms of what language you want to use. I used it at a hedge fund i was working at. They do have the tighest spreads out there especially in options. I use ThinkorSwim now (only 4 brokers are allowed by my firm). IB is not a beginner platform.

Sorry to revive an old thread. Although Thinkorswim's (TOS) pricing isn't competitive, I haven't yet found any other online brokerage platform that provides a real time risk profile of your positions like TOS has. I'm referring to the graphical drawing of your current position.

I'd really like to be independent from TOS if possible, so does anyone have a good recommendation for a professional quality software for options (but includes stock/futures) that works something like TOS, but will work with say, Interactive Brokers?

The only alternative out there I know of is OptionVue, and it's a software dinosaur.

Back