• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Operation Research (Columbia) Vs. Financial Engineering (Imperial College)

Andy,

I have a MS in mechanical engineering and I have +2 years of experience in engineering doing numerical analysis for oil and gas applications. Therefore I do not have experience directly related to finance but I am familiar with the tools. Trader job is my dream jon which I don't expect to get. By quant Job, I meant analyst for an Investment Bank/Hedge fund.

I have applied for the MFE program first but my application got rejected by Columbia and they offered me the MSOR admissions. After contacting them they suggested that I could start with the OR program and take all electives from FE and then reapply for the FE program.

The reason that I am considering Columbia Vs the more relevant program of Imperial is that I think graduating from Columbia will open up the doors to find the job in US. I don't know how well are UK degrees regarded in US.

I am also planning to take the CFA level I in december.

Any comments?

Can one reapply for MSFE after taking OR ??

Back