• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR Operations Research at Columbia University/Financial Engineering at Ann Arbor (Michigan)

Hi everyone,

I'm applying for the master of Operations Research at Columbia University and the one of Financial Engineering at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. And I think I'll be accepted at the two masters.

I'm wondering which one is the best. I know that these two masters are different but I'd like to know where you would go if you had the choice, and the reasons why you would do that.

Which one of these masters enables to get a better job, according to you ?

What is the best behavior : choosing a university because it's famous (I think that if you come from Columbia, you won't have too much problem to find a job) or choosing a better master (FE at Ann Arbor) ?

Even if my question seems a littele stupid, I would really appreciate if you could answer my thread.

Thank you very much.

You can read some facts about Columbia OR here:
https://www.quantnet.com/threads/some-truth-about-the-columbia-msor.1358/

I think that if you know that you want to be FE, you should go and study FE.
What is the reason of thinking about Columbia OR, why not Columbia FE? And why not applying to some other FE programs if thats what you call "the better master".

I think that if you want to study FE you should apply to a FE program.

You should also consider that employers are more likely to hire locally; you will have an easier time both finding companies and scheduling interviews if you are going to school where you want to work. (This is also a topic somewhere on these forums...)

Interesting choice of schools. It is hard to give advice without knowing the details. There is a similar thread on the subject in this forum.

Consider all sides of each school like courses, location, tuition etc. Also, I don't think Michigan's FE has higher weight among FE programs than Columbia's OR program among OR programs (this is my opinion). Finally, the placement question is hard to answer, you might have better chances of getting an FE job after Columbia's OR :).

Look at the forum that you've quoted: https://www.quantnet.com/threads/some-truth-about-the-columbia-msor.1358/

The MSOR at Columbia can be made into an FE degree if you want it to be, and a more flexible one at that and for less $$. There are many good reasons to do the MSOR over the MSFE; just look at some of the postings on the aforementioned forum.

You can read some facts about Columbia OR here:
https://www.quantnet.com/threads/some-truth-about-the-columbia-msor.1358/

I think that if you know that you want to be FE, you should go and study FE.
What is the reason of thinking about Columbia OR, why not Columbia FE? And why not applying to some other FE programs if thats what you call "the better master".

I think that if you want to study FE you should apply to a FE program.

Look at the forum that you've quoted: https://www.quantnet.com/threads/some-truth-about-the-columbia-msor.1358/

The MSOR at Columbia can be made into an FE degree if you want it to be, and a more flexible one at that and for less $$. There are many good reasons to do the MSOR over the MSFE; just look at some of the postings on the aforementioned forum.

I understand you can take many of the FE courses if you are MSOR.

But when the employers are scanning the resumes, they wouldn't be able to tell what kind of courses you took as MSOR. They only see MSOR on your resume, and thus you won't get priority over the guys who have MSFE on their resumes.

Hi everyone.. i am an electronics and communication undergrad from india (with no work ex, have got 2-3 internships in microfinance, stock market, sales and marketing) and have got an admit at columbia MSFE.. now the issue is that i ll be takin a loan over my education... i m worried about gettin a good job which can help me repay the amount... i have no other options i.e. i dont have any other admits as of now... everywhere i read that columbia is amongst the top in term of education,, but when it comes to placement people have not really given good reviews about it.... please suggest what should i do...

i have heard that there are good opportunities in places like singapore, honk kong, london after a student completes their course frm columbia...

also i have read everywhere that students need to network for good jobs n all, i want to ask what exactly do they expect us to do... as in how to network...???

how exactly do students get placed at columbia... do they have to walk down in the wallstreet dropping their CVs in to offices and wait for interview calls i.e. students are banking upon the university name or do the companies come into campus and formally perform placement procedures....

i dont understand with even jus 60 students at a university whose course is ranked 3 in the world has problem placing their students...

hoping for a reply... thnx.. :)

Back