• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Opinion about professors...

Hi all,
I have been reading QuantNet a little bit and I must say there is a lot of information on it. However, I couldn't find (maybe I don't know how) opinions about what would you expect from program and professors when you enter into a program (even Master or PhD)? Most of the time I find information regard courses and programs as a whole but almost nothing about professors. I read about Stefanica and some others but I want opinions from students and prospective. I am aware this question is widely open but I am looking for any kind of opinions. It looks the most important issue for many of you is the experience of the professor in the industry / how well he-she teachs / disposition to help you when you have new ideas / line of research... there may be thousands of reason! So, since my intention is becoming a teacher in this kind of programs I would like to hear opinions regard to expectations of the program and its professors! Particularly, I am looking for a PhD program but your feedback will help me to not define the place and program.
Thanks in advance to all of you, OKGB

If I understand your question correctly, you want our opinions on what makes a good professor in this area and what we look for in professors.

I've had professors that spent their whole lives in academia and others that worked in the real world, and there have been both good and bad professors in each group. Real world experience is nice in a professor because they can usually tell you how it really is, don't necessarily believe/follow the textbooks, etc. But if they don't know how to teach well, then I could do without them.

Another key characteristic that I like in my professors is them actually caring about their students, both from a learning standpoint and from a career/personal level. I had a great professor once that required every student in his class to schedule a 30min meeting with him to discuss their career plans. He was a retired executive and would proceed to tell you his opinion and advice on your plans.

Now if you are trying to narrow down potential PhD programs by professors, I would recommend looking at program size because the fewer PhD students than the more opportunity of face-time/mentoring with professors. Research interests are also important to consider. It is also important to keep an open mind about schools because while you don't want to go to a very low ranked school, highly ranked schools are probably going to be more focused on research (from you and the professors) so developing your teaching skills may be a low priority. Look for programs that require their PhD students to either take a course on teaching or require some actual classroom teaching as a student.

I am sure that you are aware that PhD is 70 hours a week of pure research for 6-7 years. If you tell them that you want to be a TEACHER, there is not even the slightest hope that they will admit you and waste their time in training you in research.

Thank you very much Connor... it is very helpful! In fact the ideal situation for me is being a Researcher-Professor. On one hand, the research and on the other the capability of being a professor. The latter had been accomplished but I am looking for what I should do (i.e. my next move) to achieve the former. Your opinion takes me to consider some professional experience.

Trader Joe I agree with the amount of hours I'll spend doing research but, for me, doing research without sharing findings makes no sense at all so becoming a professor (a good one) is part of the goal.

Someone else want to share something! Lets put it simple... What is a must for being good professor in a QF program? Thanks in advance!

I know you want to hear the opinion of others but I want to expand on the experience issue.

Experience can be a good thing but it isn't absolutely necessary. A problem some academics have is that they don't think in terms of the real world, and get theoretical instead of practical. Practitioners generally don't get too theoretical because they have to deal with the real world. To me this is a mindset.

In an ideal world you could go work for a few years and then get a PhD and teach/research, but the job market currently isn't that accommodating. Plus you have the argument of how much experience is enough. I think it would be difficult to get your PhD first then work for a few years and then go back into academia (though not impossible). I'm not positive on this but I think there is kind of a stigma around doing this and you may not be taken seriously as a researcher. New PhDs usually get their first academic job with the help and recommendation of their adviser, which you wouldn't have if you went to work in the private sector.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. ~William Arthur Ward

Back