• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

OPT (Optional Practical Training)

Hi All..

I have a question regarding OPT...can some position in university be counted towards OPT ? say like
Research Assistant with some professor..
Do international students go for something like this ?

I look forward to some answers here...Thank you so much in advance..

I am not sure what you mean about Research Assistant (RA) helping towards OPT. OPT is an employment visa that is available no matter if the student has got a fellowship, RA or TA.

In most cases RA helps the graduate student (Masters or more likely PhD) to cover some of the tuition. It is not a job outside campus so it does not need special work permit.

Academical programs (MFE is more professional oriented) can measure their strength by the RA work. Students are admitted based on their possible research ability.

Thank you for the replies...

I do understand you can do it only after graduation..what I am curious to know is if some job in university can be shown as your OPT for the MFE....not necesarrily RA, TA etc...
Just to maintain your status in the country, do students go for something like this ? And side by side, you can continue to search for jobs in industry..

You get to use OPT, ONLY after you have graduated!!
OPT can also be used during your study (pre-completion OPT), not only after graduation (post-completion OPT). However, you can only apply to OPT up to 90 days prior to being enrolled for one full academic year.

From this easy to understand USCIS page
What is optional practical training?

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is temporary employment that is directly related to an F-1 student's major area of study. Under the prior rules, an F-1 student could be authorized to receive up to a total of 12 months of practical training either before (pre-) and/or after (post-) completion of studies.

Pre-completion OPT:
An F-1 student may be authorized to participate in pre-completion OPT after he or she has been enrolled for one full academic year. The pre-completion OPT must be directly related to the student's major area of study. Students authorized to participate in pre-completion OPT must work part-time while school is in session. They may work full time when school is not in session.

Post-completion OPT:
An F-1 student may be authorized to participate in post-completion OPT upon completion of studies. The post-completion OPT must be directly related to the student's major area of study.

Keep in mind that OPT has been extended another 17 months to 29 months total as of April 2008.

what I am curious to know is if some job in university can be shown as your OPT for the MFE....not necesarrily RA, TA etc...
Just to maintain your status in the country, do students go for something like this ? And side by side, you can continue to search for jobs in industry..
Not just any job like working the library, staffing the pool, serving the cafeteria. It must be in your major of study. Also, to qualify for 17 months extension, your degree must be included in the STEM Designated Degree Program List. See above for the link.

Just a thought....why would someone want to go through the troubles and headache of applying for pre-completion OPT when they are still in school and not close to graduation? They can easily apply for CPT if they want to do internships, right....or am I missing something here?

OPT can also be used during your study (pre-completion OPT), not only after graduation (post-completion OPT). However, you can only apply to OPT up to 90 days prior to being enrolled for one full academic year.

Well, some really stuck-up schools (read: Yale, e.g.) sometimes makes it really hard for their students to apply for CPT. The argument runs somewhere along the lines of: 'What do you mean you want to accumulate real world experience?! That's not rigorous enough, not up to our ivory tower standards of intellectual brilliance!!'. In other words, they are unwilling to issue academic credit for a wide range of internships they deem unworthy. I think it's rather annoying, but what can you do about it..

Back